• theshatterstone54@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Actually, yes. Firefox is good but I hate the UI. Okay, Brave seems nice. Love the UI, sync feels slow, and why can I not move the top bar to the bottom on mobile??? Phones are BIG. Don’t make it harder for me to use your product. Okay, there is Vivaldi, king of customisability. Nice, but feels slow. Back to Firefox. Still hate UI. And now wanting a better new tab page. Proceed to discover Tabliss for a good new tab page, and Firefox-UI-Fix on github to give me a better UI on Firefox desktop. Wow, problems solved. I’m sticking to Firefox forever (unless I decide to switch to Librewolf where I can still implement all the same fixes as on Firefox).

• Flaky@iusearchlinux.fyi
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Floorp is Firefox with Vivaldi-style tweaks. Part of it is what Firefox really should be right now.

If you’re a minimalist, I can vouch for Pulse Browser, with sidebar tabs (native to Pulse, similar to Edge) and Simple Tab Groups, it’s great.

• theshatterstone54@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Yeah, but I’m on firefox and I’m happy. I have basically 0 issues. If I was on Brave, I would have still had to worry about disabling the crypto crap as well.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Moved to Firefox a while ago, specifically because of Manifest V3.

The only issue I’ve found so far is that you can’t log in to PSN on it. Just locks the browser completely and you need to kill it in task manager. Apparently it’s to do with password saving.

• astromd@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I’ll consider Firefox when they have extension support on iOS, like Orion does.

• Blisterexe@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

See, the fact they don’t is apples fault, their play store guidelines make it impossible for Firefox to add extensions

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

App Store requires all web access be rendered in safari

Any browser you get on IOS is Safari and so you are right that they could have extensions but it would be impossible for their old extensions to match up/everything has to be rewritten

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Good luck with that. All browsing on iOS is Safari, so likely all the FF extensions would need to be remade from scratch.

• Engywuck@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Nope. Many Chromium forks already have very good inbuilt adblockers , which won’t be affected by the MV3 stuff. On top of that, one could also use system-wide blockers such as AdGuard and DNS-level blockers (which is not even a bad idea if you’re on Windows anyway).

• Engywuck@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

I already upgraded to Brave years ago. Thanks. And fuck Mozilla.

• Platform27@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 months ago

If anything, they’re worse.

1. Brave is an advertising company, that blocks everyone, but them. Forcing over people and companies into their system.
              2. They’re heavily in the blockchain ecosystem, with their own worthless crypto.
              3. They take from open source projects (uBlock, Chromium, etc), but threaten legal action when someone forks them.
              4. They install bloat/spyware on your Windows system (later claimed it was a mistake).
              5. Brave, and its CEO is right-wing, lobbying against things like same-sex marriage.

I could go on.

• Kumatomic@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                7 months ago

Don’t forget the worst most condescending people working for Brave. I actually had one of their people antagonize me on social media years ago for not liking their invasive homepage at the time.

• Hal-5700X@lemmy.world
                cake
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                7 months ago
                1. Brave is an advertising company, that blocks everyone, but them.

So like very other ad company.

Forcing over people and companies into their system.

[citation needed]

1. The crypto stuff is opt-in.
                2. [citation needed] I’m talking about the legal action stuff. Fun fact, Gab made a Brave fork called Dissenter. Nothing happened to them.
                3. Yeah, Brave VPN is BS.
                4. About Brendan Eich, I can’t see nothing about his beliefs reflecting in his work. Looks like he kept them separated. Also he’s a co-founder of Mozilla. So if you’re not going to use Brave because of him. How can you use Firefox? About Brave lobbying against things like same-sex marriage. Will, [citation needed].

If you need Chromium browser. Just use ungoogled-chromium, Windows version.

• DrQuint@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Man’s 3 poignant inquiries away from peddling Brave. Tread carefully folks.

• DigitalBits@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

System wide ad blockers can’t block a lot of ads, namely same-domain ads or those that are built into the html. Much rarer than the external page kind (DNS ones) thankfully.

• Engywuck@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

AFAIK, AdGuard can block same domain ads. I’m not talking about AdGuard DNS, I’m talking about AdGuard app/program.

• Cossty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

As far as I know most inbuilt adblockers, don’t work very well. Especially with yt. Everytime yt does something, you would probably have to wait for new version of your browser, and even then it is questionable if it would work. With ublock origin you just click on one button and you are good to go. If somebody doesn’t know, I’m talking about refreshing your filters.

• Engywuck@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

I’m yet to see any ad since I’ve started using Brave. Din know about YouTube, I don’t use it.

• bdonvr@thelemmy.club
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Why would you want to use some Google-coded, bigoted-ceo, crypto-pushing, link hijacking POS like Brave?

• ZeroHora@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                7 months ago

Brave adblock is just a fork of uBlock with a whitelist for Brave’s partners.

• Engywuck@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  7 months ago

It works. Enough for me not to bother with anything else.

• WallEx@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Yeah surel, I’ll use the inadequate browser but fox the problems with system wide ad blockers, instead of just using a browser, that doesn’t steal my data and let’s me install addons that I want. Google is way out of bounds here imho.

• Engywuck@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Use whatever suits you. I’m just saying that people already using browsers with a built-in AdBlock aren’t going to switch, because they won’t even notice the MV3 stuff.

• WallEx@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Aren’t all those ad blockers and distribution platforms too? Heard about ABP that sell ad space for example.

• Engywuck@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

IIRC, ABP used to whiteliste some “acceptable” ads (non invasive, etc…). Frankly, it’s been literally ages since I have used it, so I don’t know how they behave right now. I was referring to AdGuard as a system-wide adblocker, though, which is a completely different story.

• Engywuck@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

As long as these browsers themselves exist. Inbuilt adblockers aren’t extension, are integral parts of the browsers, and don’t need to follow extensions’ rules.

• Jeena@jemmy.jeena.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I really wonder if this will make any people move from Chrome to Firefox at all because they can’t use their adblockers anymore. There are probably so few people that most of them already are on Firefox I guess.

• hyorvenn@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Nope, then they will continue to whine about YouTube and Twitch spamming ads even though the solution already exists.

• HouseWolf@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

This ^ some people are weirdly hellbent against using Firefox for basically no reason.

Had a someone I know recently which between 3 different chromium browsers to find one where the adBlock still worked on Youtube, But would refuse Firefox for the pettiest of reasons from ‘I can’t sync logins with my google account’ to ‘That browsers for NERDS

cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

tbf, and I’m saying this as a Firefox user, some of the comments about Firefox here make me wanna just

Marge Simpson cowering her face away

The loudest parts of the userbase can change the perceptions of software to outsiders, very much like fandoms.

• CALIGVLA@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I for one can say I’m very on the fence whether I make the jump or not, because on the one hand I don’t want to deal with MV3, but on the other hand Vivaldi is absolutely unique and Firefox doesn’t even come close to replacing it in terms of features for me.

• reflex@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

As a fellow Vivaldi user, you know what’ll really make you sad?

There was a plugin that offered practically-identical tiling functionality in Firefox (i.e., tab tiling within one window).

It still exists, but was broken when Firefox moved to manifest. Now it tries to replicate the behavior with individual windows instead, which feels awful to use.

There’s a Firefox fork called Floorp that purportedly has Vivaldi-like tiling, but after a week with it, I couldn’t figure out how to enable it. Plus, it’s in its early stages and some of the users are vocally anti-Vivaldi (more specifically, anti-Floorp-becoming-Vivaldi-on-Firefox) so who knows—all those features might get stripped off down the line anyway.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Yeah I tried Floorp awhile ago and it looked interesting, but very early development and jank as hell. It might be something to keep an eye on as long as they keep adding more stuff to it…

• vpz@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

What Vivaldi features do you feel are game changing? I’m not that familiar with it and would love to hear from someone who uses Vivaldi.

• Wistful
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

I’m not the OP, but Vivaldi has been my main browser for many years now.
          The reason why some people like Vivaldi is the same reason why other people dislike it. It has a lot of additional features and customization options that other browsers don’t. You may find that cool (e.g., people who used old Opera), or you may dislike it, because “I just want a browser to open web pages.”

But anyways…here are some features that I really like and I miss in other browsers:

• Highly customizable shortcuts, gestures and command chains (macros) I use mouse gestures a lot, and on Firefox I had to install an extension to get that feature. Also one tiny feature that I love in Vivaldi, that I really miss in other browsers is to switch tabs by scrolling mousewheel while the cursor is over the tab bar.
          • Easy way to add custom search engines (I assume other browsers have this too, but I know that on Firefox it’s a little bit longer process to make one)
          • Many ways to organize tabs (stacking, grouping, renaming tab groups…)
          • Tab tiling (arranging opened webpages in a single window, good for comparing stuff or multitasking)
          • Mail client and RSS feed reader (not very polished but it’s still convenient)
          • Workspaces (good for separating tabs, e.g., work, shopping, entertainment…)
          • Simple markdown notes (you can access them quickly from a side panel, and u can quickly add selected text from a webpage by right clicking the text and add to note)
          • Customizable menus (e.g., customizing options that are presented in the right click context menu)
          • Quick commands (it’s like a command palette from which you can search history, bookmarks, run commands, do simple calculations, etc.) you could in theory make your browser UI-less and just use the Quick commands.

Those are just some of my favorites but there is a lot more…And almost all of these additional features you can disable selectively if you wish to do so.

• Kissaki@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Easy way to add custom search engines (I assume other browsers have this too, but I know that on Firefox it’s a little bit longer process to make one)

The reasonable alternative in Firefox is search bookmarks. Create a bookmark with search url target and %s placeholder, and give it a search keyword. Then you can search with keyword search text.

cake
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

Vivaldi-to-Firefox here with a little insight! Firefox addons can have the permission to hide tabs, and there are addons that take good advantage of this. Simple Tab Groups can essentially replicate Vivaldi Workspaces, as well as Sidebery if you want something a bit more on steroids in the form of a sidebar.

While I’ve got you here, I’ve had issues with Vivaldi not being able to block Google search results I don’t want to see. Might’ve been me not setting my blocklist up properly, but it works on Firefox with uBlock Origin and Safari with Adguard. Seems like Vivaldi doesn’t support some of the more advanced filtering that Letsblock.it uses for that - AdGuard works.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Aside from the completely customizable UI, I’d say tab stacking and tab tiling. Web panels are cool as well, you can have translators, calculators and whatnot in your sidebar for quick access that way. It also has a built-in RSS feed reader which is neat.

• Kichae@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Yes, tab stacking and tiling keep me using Vivaldi at work. They’re great, and I remain super sad that there’s no real equivalent in Firefox.

I still use Firefox on my personal computers, but I silently weep a little bit whenever it would be super useful to stack or tile tabs.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Tab stacking, tab tiling, the sidebar with all my web panels, quick commands, the completely customizable UI… There’s so much.

• LollerCorleone@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

You can customize the Firefox UI entirely by making modifications to userChrome.CSS.

And there are some really good addons for tab management in Firefox.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

You can customize the Firefox UI entirely by making modifications to userChrome.CSS.

Yeah, but that’s too complicated, Firefox needs better customization options built into the actual browser itself. Something I can just open the options and change how it looks with a few clicks.

And there are some really good addons for tab management in Firefox.

I’ve tried using a few, the only one that even came close to anything in Vivaldi was Sideberry and even that just felt like an inferior version of what Vivaldi natively has.

• reksas@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I already moved to firefox, this made me think about stop using google drive and gmail too.

Technically I would be fucked if google decided to just block my account and they have demonstrated they will do it if they feel like it

(the case in 2022 about someone sending picture of their own baby to the doctor and was automatically flagged for it. google blocked that persons account and didnt unblock it even though it was proven he did nothing wrong. The pictures werent even sent via gmail, i think, so google just scanned their private photos.)

I have separate account for youtube, but I worry in the future they might connect it to my main account and start threatening to ban it if i continue using adblock. Now i’m also kind of worried if google decides in the future that something is unacceptable, like making comments against corporations or something.

• Paradachshund@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I think by market share percentages alone there will be a significant number of people that have no idea ad block is going away, and who knows, some of them may make the switch if they look into it.

• theredhood@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

The only thing keeping me from Firefox is native tab groups, I use that all the time.

• DrQuint@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

On Chrome, you can join tabs into a colored group with a name and then collapse that group so that it occupies considerably less space in the bar. Useful to organize your browsing into tidy buckets.

On Firefox, there’s no adequate innate manner of doing that. But the browser has an add-on called simple tab groups that uses a native “hidden tabs” feature to make a similar approach. The difference is it adds a button to the left that becomes a drop-down menu, and each of the entries is a colored and named group, and pressing one, hides the rest and bring up the tabs you previously in the one selected.

I find either just as good, and instrumental to browsing. For example, I have a red group just for YouTube, where like 20 tabs are open and to or from which I occasionally drag a tab.

• Ace! _SL/S@ani.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Sideberry is really good and can do all of that and much more. You need to have a custom userChrome.css to hide the native tab bar though

• WallEx@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

Hm alright, I only know of “spaces” on Firefox (also colour coded, but I don’t think you can collapse them), very useful if you have multiple accounts for Google lets say, but in different contexts (like work or private), you can use that so you don’t have to log in every time.

Also thanks for the explanation:)

• Darkassassin07@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

The other issue for me is ‘desktop site’. Firefox doesn’t remember your choice long term or short term. Every time I leave the app for more than 10 seconds it refreshes the page and resets that setting.

Chrome will remember that setting even across new tabs. It’s important to me because I have half a dozen self-hosted services I manage mostly from mobile and I find them all easier to use with that on. I use desktop sites from mobile more than any other webpages on any platform.

• CeeBee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Tab groups is what made me drop Chrome on mobile. I don’t care if it’s an option, but it’s not just the default now, it’s the only option on Chrome mobile.

I’m using Firefox for both mobile and desktop and I cannot believe how much better they are than Chrome now.

And the thing that made me completely drop Chrome from desktop was the forced sidebar search. I implemented a complicated workaround twice, but the third time it broke I just had enough.

I’m loving Firefox.

• DrQuint@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I guess I’m lucky and actually find both the native chrome groups and the firefox simple tab group addon that uses hidden tabs equally good approaches.

Specially since the tab groups work with the multiaccount container feature. With Chrome, I generally keep separate guest accounts and windows for that, because the sessions are bit messy otherwise.

• 9up999@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

No because brave and Vivaldi exist. Also there is Adguard app for Android or software for windows (not DNS one) and then browser doesn’t matter.