Brought to you by my discovery that some people think that “the customer is always right” isn’t the slogan of a long-dead department store, but rather it’s an actual call the cops law.

• Jimbob15515@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I worked at a book store, and the card readers processed everything as credit. Which is generally fine, since most folks’ debit cards can be run either way.

I had an old dude come up and pay with his debit card. When it didn’t ask for a pin, he started screaming at me about how I’d just illegally charged his credit card. I politely explained that it didn’t work that way and he just kept yelling. So I rudely explained that it didn’t work that way.

Dude, you think you inserted your debit card and that magically, our system somehow found out your credit card information and charged that instead?

• Dubious_Fart@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Dude would probably be better iff it it made his debit a credit card.

Debit cards can be run as credit, but they don’t have anywhere near the protections of a credit card.

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Debit cards can be run as credit

Does it cost the merchant more?

In Australia, debit cards are dual-network, and credit transactions cost far more than debit transactions. Debit uses a local system called EFTPOS that has low fees, whereas credit uses the card issuer’s network (Mastercard, Visa, etc) and they take a far larger percentage.

• Dubious_Fart@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I have no idea, Do debit cards have better protections in australia?

Cause in America, if you run a debit card, you get no protections (edit, banks will generally give you your money back if the card is stolen, after an investigation, nothing else really). I literally have been told by a bank that “If you wanted to make charge backs and have protections, you should have used your credit card”

• dan@upvote.au
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

A lot of people only have debit cards in Australia, and consumer protection is a lot stronger than the USA. Most credit cards in Australia have an annual fee, and the only rewards are usually frequent flyer points, so they’re nowhere near as common as in the USA.

I’m Aussie but I’ve been living in the USA for 10 years. American credit cards are something else. So many good cards with no annual fee, great perks (like extended warranty), and great rewards (like cash back, or points that are worth way more than in Australia).