Okay, it’s actually 18955 at the time of this post. I’m looking at https://lemmy.fediverse.observer/list and lemmy.world has already passed beehaw.org by a large margin for second place.

Can’t wait for this place to start filling out!

• sexy_peach@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think it’s growing the fastest from all the servers since you don’t have to write a line or two for the application!

• kadu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s also worth pointing out it’s hosted by the same person who hosts Mastodon.world, which is a stable, trustworthy and large Mastodon instance.

• NevermindNoMind@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

These were the two factors for me. I tried beehaw first, but after submitting my application and waiting an hour or so, I still couldn’t get in. Whether or not the application is a good idea overall, it’s a barrier to entry. With the blackout I finally decided to be a brave boy and try to figure out the fediverse, and after overcoming that major hurdle I’m met with a literal gatekeeper. I haven’t bothered to check if I ultimately got in since I have am account here now.

So then I’m right back to the drawing board doing searches figuring out which other servers are stable, have decent policies, aren’t run by sketchy folks, etc. It was a lot, but this servers reputation having run a mastodon server is what got me to come here.

I think a lot of people are like me and will get curious about lemmy and want to dive in one afternoon to see what it’s about. They don’t want to spend an afternoon researching like their setting up a smart home ecosystem. Then to be met with gatekeeping, your going to lose people. Maybe that’s fine in the grand scheme of things.

• Liempong_pagong@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s the part I enjoyed the most. Writing a short description on the application page at Beehaw. And now that I’m in it. I can say that it’s the best instance currently. The people and the community is great. I haven’t seen a troll or a complainer in the instance in Beehaw. I have many accounts in other instances and Im assured that Beehaw is where it’s at.

• SpaceBar@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Beehaw doesn’t have the right attitude for a federated environment. They are having problems moderating and dealing with the sudden jump in traffic, so they cut off the largest server. What they should have done is get more help.

They are breaking lemmy because they are self centered. They only care about beehaw. They don’t care about all of lemmy.

• Gatsby@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I agree that it’s not the right attitude, I don’t agree that they’re breaking anything.

• SpaceBar@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Whena person posts to anything@beehaw.org and never ever gets a reply, and sees other posts getting replies, are they going to stick with lemmy? No, they are going to go back to reddit. To me, that’s breaking the platform.

• Synthclair@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Heh writing the application was part of the fun! :D No, really, I think that at least in Beehive, it is an important step: It ensures a minimum understanding of the environment of the instance and its mission, and as long as the option to join other instances is there, why not?

• lenguen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s pretty exciting! I’m really enjoying this new platform. Not filled with ads and the comments feel a lot more genuine.

• V ‎ ‎ @beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Ugh that was my biggest gripe with reddit. Open a thread just to see the same 5 jokes repeated over and over in different ways to try and reap karma.

• kat@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I began using reddit in 2017. I never really realized there had been a decline in quality until I recently ended up on some threads from 2017ish. I think some of it had to do with the change from a very desktop-oriented, forum-style page, to a dumbed-down mobile-friendly experience. The emphasis is now heavy on pictures, videos, instant messaging, avatars, online status, shiny award bling, infinite scrolling, etc. Reddit may not have intended it, but I feel like their target age demographic is much lower now. I’m shocked at how many regular users are still in high school or even middle school. I’d guess the kids are the ones repeating the funny jokes en masse. They’re just kids being kids, but it gets old sometimes.

• ApathyMoose@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s why I left the Always sunny in Philadelphia subreddit. I joined to talk about the show but Every.single.comment. is a joke or line from the show. Almost no one would engage in an actual discussion or conversation.

• MajorTom@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There aren’t any karma bots yet. No one is making useless comments like “this.” The conversations are civil. I’m loving this community!

• V ‎ ‎ @beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think the federated nature of the platform may help to reinforce those positive attributes. Unmoderated instances with low quality content are at risk of being defederated, and as evident by the mod log, the mods do enforce rules on inflammatory and low quality content.

• Ataraxia@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Does lemmy.world have any unfederated instances? I was preferring the freedom of chosing to block communities myself but I started running into some very toxic posts that make me feel like I took a wrong turn and I’m gonna get stabbed in a dark alley lol! I’d rather stick to the friendly, positive and useful posts. I would rather avoid that aspect of Reddit here.

• tolkeylime@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

in just 2 days this place has exploded with content, its easier to stay away from reddit now.

• Slashzero@hakbox.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I mean, sure some are probably people making multiple accounts, but based on the speed of new posts showing up I’d believe there are at least 20k on lemmy.world. It’s the largest and most stable instance at the moment.

Personally I run my own instance and connect to the communities from there.

• sqibkw@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Hello 👋 new to fediverse - what are the benefits of running your own and connecting in to these communities, compared to just making an account on an instance that already exists?

I imagine if you run your own, you don’t lose access to your account compared to if, say, your account is in lemmy.world and it goes down. Is there more to it?

• c2h6@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s pretty much it for me. There’s a lot of complexity in hosting that you don’t have to do if you use someone else’s instance. There’s a risk that their server goes down, but most people who start big servers know what they’re doing.

Its also advantageous to join the instance you want to interact most in. Interacting across instances is possible but still a little buggy. It’s harder to find communities, and once you do, sometimes posts don’t load.

• Slashzero@hakbox.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

In addition to that,

• I like the challenge of leaning new technologies and hosting my own web apps
        • It lets me feel that I have a bit more control over my user and posts
        • I get my own vanity domain / user address
        • I get a good understanding of how the lemmy frontend, backend and database work (yay open-source!)
        • I can keep my instance up to date with the latest lemmy releases (some are still running 0.17.3!)
        • I can do some dev work and testing on my instance, if I want, without impacting others
        • it reduces load on the main instances

There’s more, but I think that’s a good enough list for now. Have a nice day!

• JCreazy@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It looks like a lot of new communities are popping up on Lemmy world so people might be joining it to post in one of the new communities.

• mykl@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Oh no. I keep trying to move down to the next level of smaller but well-organised sites that are running smoothly, and they all keep growing like crazy. It’s like I’m part of the problem or something.

Watch out feddit.uk, I’m coming for you next! You think that uptime is going to stay at 100%? Pfft.

• clara@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

come on over, we have greggs, we can eat that to pass the downtime if it happens

• mykl@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Haha, there’s a tricky calculation to be done there depending on how long they’ve been out of the oven versus how long the downtime is if you want to avoid being over or under steak-baked.

• bloodsangre7@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Joined Monday, started two communities, subbed to what I like, and making an effort to post way more than I did elsewhere. Joined LW because lemmy.ml had issues Monday and I really didn’t understand the difference. Using Jerboa on the phone, its all working way more smoothly than I thought it would

• SpaceBar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

burggit.moe is the only instance blocked by lemmy.world. what’s the deal with that server?

• mountainmycelium@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So, I’m still seeing a ‘pending’ status for mine. I signed up on both beehaw and lemmy.world, and I was really hoping to be able to help grow both, but I can’t create a community on beehaw, so I’m just sitting here waiting to be approved(?) on lemmy.world to be able to do that. I think. I’m not sure I’ve got much of this as figured out as everyone else.

• Phil@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

26,000 plus as of 15.46 gmt Came here to post new music, found no sub, oh no it community here of course, so had to make one, hoping someone comes and says it was there idea originally so I can hand it off, lol