• Chrisosaur@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Having very strange dreams. I fell asleep with the tv on the night before. Never really did that before or since. Woke up between the two impacts.

• ImFresh3x@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I was up all night studying in college. I went bed at like 4am to get maybe 5 hours of sleep before a big exam. Woke up at at like 7 am to my roommate and his friends being loud as fuck. I was pissed because I really needed sleep. Walked out to living room to tell them to stfu. They looked at me with wide eyes, and pointed at the tv.

A few minutes later the second plane hit. Jfc. What a moment.

I knew then that exam wasn’t happening, and that the world had changed. I was angry about the attack. That this people were robbed of their lives, and their families were suffering.

And I was angry because I knew it meant more endless wars. More bush. More government spy programs. And more flag waving by a mob of riled up idiots. I hated myself for being cynical. Hoping I was wrong.

• TheBananaKing@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sitting at home, other side of the planet, chatting to friends on IRC - somewhere around midnight local time.

Someone suddenly said “A PLANE JUST HIT THE WORLD TRADE CENTER THE PICTURES ARE HORRIBLE” - turned on the TV, a few minutes later the news started filtering in.

I had work in the morning, so I had to go to bed within a couple of hours. My overall thoughts on the night:

• Fuck.
    • Gotta admit, that was clever.
    • Hoooo boy there’s going to be trouble over this
    • Fuck.
  • FReddit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

On about the 48th floor of 101 California in San Francisco a Deutsche Bank floor and the scene of a notorious mass murder previously. We got right the fuck out of there.

• Sean@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Eighteen and a senior in HS. I had just turned in my draft card a few days earlier so I was shitting my pants that I was going to be shipped off to the desert and ordered to kill brown people.

• ji88aja88a@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Was holidaying in Queenstown, NZ and walked into the restaurant of the hotel to eat breakfast, hungover as.all get out, not believing what I was seeing

• 𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒆𝒍@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was in school when the first plane hit, came home, turned on the TV and they say second plane hit, called a friend (via landline off course) and said it’s beginning of III WW

• charlytune@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sitting on my sofa reading the paper with the TV on mute before I had to go to work. Looked up and thought huh that’s a weird film to be on daytime TV. Realised it was breaking news and put the sound on. I think both planes had crashed at that point.

Left to get the bus to go do my shift in the pub I worked in. I remember there was a guy on the bus on his phone (still not ubiquitous at this point) saying “I’m not kidding man one of the fucking towers has completely collapsed”. I got to work, it was about 5pm at this point so the pub was starting to get a bit busier with some of our regulars already in, I tried telling them what had happened but I don’t think they really understand the enormity of it. There was no TV in the pub, and people didn’t have the internet on their phones, they all just went ‘huh’ and went back to their pints and conversations. It was only the next day after everyone had been home and seen the footage themselves that it was the only topic of conversation.

I knew at the time that it was the start of a war, and that everything was about to change, for the worse. I marched against the war with 1 to 2 million other people in London, because we knew it was wrong. All the politicians who still took us there were either liars, or dangerous idiots, or both. Tony Blair should be in prison.

• Ikelton@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was in like 3rd grade, the word was passed on to us in real time but I didn’t really understand what had happened until later.

Also this is a clever way to get a feel for the distribution of ages of Lemmy users… I like it.

• Dylpickles@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think it’s a bit flawed because I was I dunno 3? I don’t remember anything about 9/11.

I figure if you don’t remember anything about 9/11 or you weren’t alive yet you’re not gonna just make 1 of 300 identical comments about how you were at home shitting your diaper or swimming around in your daddy’s balls ¯_(ツ)_/¯ but maybe I’m wrong.

• Joe B@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was at the Conversation Corps in the Day room with my then GF as soon as the second plane hit I thought I was watching a show. I went and got other people and we just watched. Saw people jumping to there deaths

• iknowyouare@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was 9 years old performing violin at the United Nations when it happened. I’ve never seen the streets and subways that crowded before or since.