• charlytune@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sitting on my sofa reading the paper with the TV on mute before I had to go to work. Looked up and thought huh that’s a weird film to be on daytime TV. Realised it was breaking news and put the sound on. I think both planes had crashed at that point.

Left to get the bus to go do my shift in the pub I worked in. I remember there was a guy on the bus on his phone (still not ubiquitous at this point) saying “I’m not kidding man one of the fucking towers has completely collapsed”. I got to work, it was about 5pm at this point so the pub was starting to get a bit busier with some of our regulars already in, I tried telling them what had happened but I don’t think they really understand the enormity of it. There was no TV in the pub, and people didn’t have the internet on their phones, they all just went ‘huh’ and went back to their pints and conversations. It was only the next day after everyone had been home and seen the footage themselves that it was the only topic of conversation.

I knew at the time that it was the start of a war, and that everything was about to change, for the worse. I marched against the war with 1 to 2 million other people in London, because we knew it was wrong. All the politicians who still took us there were either liars, or dangerous idiots, or both. Tony Blair should be in prison.