In my search for knowledge about piracy and the dastardly fellows who partake in it, I came across an issue. How do these pirates attain nintendo switch games? i can’t seem to understand. may anyone who is well versed in this topic provide some knowledge? much appreciated.

• Moonrise2473@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

The first batch of Nintendo switch (millions and millions) have an unpatchable flaw that allows the owner to run whatever he wants. They use this flaw to run a program that simply extracts the files from the game cartridge

• 0xd34d@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

There’s not much to mod if you have the first gen hardware. A 3D printed part and a paperclip can get the exploit going for ya

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Oooo that sounds easy! I’ve done my PSP, Vita, and 3DS so I shouldn’t have much issue. I do indeed have a first Gen switch.

• cyberic
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I found it easier than my vita, but harder than my 3ds

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

Beautiful. At least I don’t have to flash a battery’s firmware like I did with my friends’ PSP-2000s hahahaha

I spent nine hours on my 3DS, then the next day a new method of modding came out that took under an hour. Shoulda waited a day!

• cuzit@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

If you don’t have a 3D printer, you can buy the jig for like $5 online. Then it’s just a matter of sliding the jig into the joycon port and rebooting… bam hacked switch.

• SkySyrup@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

You can pull the game files off the cartridge, using specialized software, such as NSP-dumptool, you can get files from the Internet, that other people uploaded.

Well, I’m never using stt again.

• Free Palestine 🇵🇸@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Early versions of the switch can easily be hacked, even on later models, you can still install a modchip and dump the games along with the firmware. We will always be 20 steps ahead of Nintendo.

• riseuppikmin [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

If it’s early release it’s a warehouse leak most likely that then gets dumped from a modded console (xci format). Some users convert xci to nsp for reasons unknown to me. Might be that switch cartridges have extra padding at the beginning/end that can be stripped to reduce file size.

Otherwise it’s just a standard dump from a modded console in either eShop (nsp) or physical (xci) format