• Norah - She/They@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Some experts argue the cost-of-living crisis and inflation is actually hitting those on low incomes harder than those on higher incomes.

I’m sorry, but what university degree do you need to be a bloody expert on this?! Like yeah no shit the crisis where the cost of everything has been skyrocketing, is affecting poor people the most.

• Taleya@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

So the big financial snake oil salesment poink the economy being reliant on x% of unemployment. They also mandate that these people who MUST be on the dole for the good of the land be denigrated and starved.

I’m getting real sick of this omelas crap.

And don’t even get me started on disability payments…

• melbaboutown@aussie.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Disability payments being below the poverty line… It shouldn’t be happening. And to make it even worse a lot of people on Jobseeker (even lower) should actually be on the disability payments but won’t get approved. This country treats its most vulnerable people like shit.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Survey results released last month by the Australian Council of Social Service showed a majority of respondents had been skipping meals, medication and taking fewer hot showers due to the skyrocketing cost of living.

But it doesn’t account for the fact that low-income households spend a greater percentage of income on essentials such as food and housing — expenses that are now rising the fastest.

Elise Klein, an associate professor at the Australian National University’s Crawford School of Public Policy, said it would be better for recipients if JobSeeker was indexed to wages rather than CPI.

It was temporarily increased to $550 per week by the coronavirus supplement at the onset of COVID lockdowns in 2020, before reverting back to its original level the following year.

“Those stage three tax cuts, those billions of dollars there could change lives overnight for folks who find themselves on JobSeeker,” Ms Klein said.

The government, which released a number of promotional election materials this year with the motto “no one left behind”, has ruled out any further increase to social security payments.

The original article contains 989 words, the summary contains 175 words. Saved 82%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!