Edited below. I imagine many of us are here from reddit, where hashtags weren’t really a thing and in many places mentions were actively discouraged (/r/politics I’m looking at you). However, since everything we post or comment on kbin (and lemmy) has the potential of getting federated on a mastodon server, which leans heavily on hashtags and mentions, should we be promoting the use of hashtags and mentions, in an effort to-- I dunno-- kind of tie everything together a little more neatly?

If the answer is “yeah, we probably should” then I’d also suggest that there be an option added to the settings to auto-populate the hashtags associated with the magazine to every post and another to add them to every top-level comment, very similar to how we have the option to auto-populate mentions for posts and comments.

Does this “Tags” field, when making a new thread/post, actually do anything with respect to this, or is that more for kbin-related stuff?

Oh, and, uh… #hashtags #kbin #fediverse

Feels weird to do that.

Edit: So, I did some brief testing, and have noted the following:

• Hashtags associated with the magazine are auto-populated at the end of the mastodon snippet.
  • Hashtags added to the tags field are likewise added to the end of the mastodon snippet.
  • Hashtags in the body text are seen as hashtags, but for reasons that might just be mastodon weirdness, searching for the hashtag doesn’t display the associated post.
  • Hashtags in the body but more than ~350 characters into the body (i.e., past the point the snippet cuts it off) do not display.

Edit2: Mostly unrelated, but when I mention the “snippet” above, it seems like it is created by the first ~350 characters of the first paragraph. That is to say, if your first paragraph is 10 characters, then a blank line, then 100 more characters-- the snippet will only be 10 characters long.

• Niello@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

As someone who has never used Twitter, Instagram, Mastodon, Tumblr or Facebook. How does hashtag work?

• effingjoe@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s a keyword search. On Twitter, it was used to help people more easily find specific topics of discussion, and on mastodon, there is no plain text search-- you can find people, or hashtags-- so if you want your post to be discoverable outside people that already follow you, you need to use hashtags.

• Niello@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

So how do you know what the hashtag people use is? Like how do you know it’s # with totk, tearsofthekingdom, ZeldaTotk, TotKcontraption, TotKvehicle, TotKvehicles, TotK_vehicle or something else? Or what new hashtags are there?

• CMLVI@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

You don’t; that’s why people will generally use multiple like you listed. So you’d just put them all in

• effingjoe@kbin.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s not quite so formal as that, but many people seem to use several common hashtags when it’s ambiguous like that. So in your instance, if you were talking about the new zelda game, you might tag the post with all of those hashtags just to spread a wider net for interested people.

• 00@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Several ways. Obviously you can simply check the popularity of certain hashtags yourself by searching them. Secondly, theres also hashtag suggestions, so if i were to write “#tot” and #totkcontraption is the first one, its probably the most popular one. Lastly, you just use 2-3 hashtags. So #totk #tearsofthekingdom #totkvehicles for example.

Its not a perfect system that will sort every post perfectly, but its an open and flexible system.

• therealcaptncrunch67@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Hashtags are basically tags, if put a # before a word, the post, it’ll create a link to that tag and I’ll be easy to find similar content.

So for example if I use #bunny and you tap the link, all content with that hashtag will be displayed.