Edit: ok your comments just made me buy a cheap android TV box, thanks guyz x

• Evoke3626@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Please everyone if you’re not using something like Ublock Origin (best in the game imo) you’re doing the internet wrong.

Some say they play ads to support content creators but they make almost nothing from them because Google is so greedy. Best way to support them is direct, $5 on buy me a coffee or a patreon subscription.

• Lazylazycat@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I agree with you, don’t shout at me please 😭 I just can’t use ublock on my TV and I’m too lazy to plug my laptop in.

• SuddenDownpour@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Whenever possible, just pay them directly through PayPal or a similar service. Out of the money you pay to someone on Patreon, the creator usually ends up with less than 50% due to VAT, payment processor fees, Patreon fees, and income tax. By skipping Patreon, the creator doesn’t lose out to VAT and Patreon fees.

• grue@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

More creators need to start using Liberapay. It’s a non-profit organization that funds itself via donations, so the only fees it charges are the ones being passed through from the underlying payment processor. It also avoids VAT by prohibiting creators from offering anything in exchange for payment.

• Hyperreality@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Also, firefox on android (and I suspect iOS) allows you to install extensions including ad blockers.

Faster, saves battery, prevents sites from breaking on mobile.

• Anafabula
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Not on iOS, because Apple forces all browsers on iOS to just be safari with a different look

• zgasma@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Take a look at “vinegar” in the app store. It’s a safari extension that changes the video tag on youtube videos and removes the ads.

I don’t explain it well, and it costs money (fyi), but it’s working for me.

• Anafabula
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Thankfully i haven’t had an apple device in >5 years

• ki77erb@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I just pay $11 for YouTube premium. I did it entirely for YouTube Music (Google Music) but the ad free YouTube was just a nice bonus.