• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

PARIS (AP) — Holding olive branches and white banners, French performers from different religious and ethnic backgrounds led thousands of people on a silent march through central Paris on Sunday to call for peace between Israelis and Palestinians and unity in France.

The crowd, which included actors Isabelle Adjani and Emmanuelle Beart as well as singers and other cultural figures, marched from the Arab World Institute toward the Museum of Art and History of Judaism, located across the Seine River.

France, home to significant Jewish and Muslim populations, has seen weeks of protests and tensions over the Israel-Hamas war.

Macron confirmed his support for Israel’s right to defend itself but denounced ‘’too numerous civilian losses’’ in Gaza.

Macron also expressed concern about violence against Palestinian civilians in the West Bank and called for resumed diplomatic efforts toward a two-state solution.

On Saturday, thousands of pro-Palestinian and left-wing activists rallied in Paris and around Britain on to call for a cease-fire, the latest of several such protests in major cities around the world since the Israel-Hamas war started.

The original article contains 368 words, the summary contains 177 words. Saved 52%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Quokka@quokk.au
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

What centrist wankers, the only performance is their sympathy.

“We have a blue sky on top of our head today and in Israel, in Palestine, they’re having bombs, they’re having war. We’re not helping the situation by choosing sides or throwing hate on one side or another,’’ Nadia Fares said

No, choose a side.

Choose the side of the innocent people who are suffering, the children and adults who have been murdered, oppressed, and invaded for decades.

• Quokka@quokk.au
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

You’d have to be a thoroughly fucked up person to not be on the side of the innocent people.

• gapbetweenus@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Nope. Since there is nothing I can do about it - picking side it literally virtue signaling. If that’s your cup of tea and I would guess it is, go ahead and waste your life picking sides in conflicts you are not involved in and have no influence over. Makes you feel good, does not change a thing.

• Quokka@quokk.au
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Public support is what you can do about it.

Just because I alone don’t have the power to end the conflict means jack shit, I’m but one part of a larger whole of which I can influence.

• gapbetweenus@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

I’m but one part of a larger whole of which I can influence.

Sorry but I’m too old to fall for this one. Nothing will stop this conflict until Israelis and Palestinians figure out how to get along. It took people in Europe more then thousand years to stop slaughtering each other - so might be a long ride. But it is definitely some kind delusions of grandeur if you think that as an outsider without any kind of power you will have any influence, especially since there are some real big boys at play there.

By the way tell me how the demonstrations against the war in Iraq went? As far as I remember one of the biggest in Europe.

In the end by choosing a side, you are just playing into the conflict by increasing the polarization.

And while I have empathy for anyone, who is involuntary crushed by the wheels of history - I also am very much aware that I wont stop them from turning.

• Alfonsio@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                7 months ago

But it’s not a question of „just getting along“. Palestinians are indigenous to that country and right wing extremist nationalists are committing a genocide on them right in front of our eyes. Actually backed by our governments.

I mean honestly, they’re starving innocent children, bombing them as they’re sheltering in schools & hospitals. You don’t do that to anyone. It’s just wrong and it shouldn’t be polarizing to express for anyone that they’re against wiping out innocent civilians, let alone children.

• gapbetweenus@feddit.de
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  7 months ago

But it’s not a question of „just getting along“

Yes lets discuss some semantics - that will surly help.

It’s just wrong and it shouldn’t be polarizing to express for anyone that they’re against wiping out innocent civilians, let alone children.

How brave of you to take such an controversial stance on the internet. So what are you intending to do: write some angry posts and give some upvotes down-votes? Go to the streets? I feel like in the end - I will have the exact same real influence on the situation like you. So get down from your high horse, and if you want to change something - get you some power.

• Quokka@quokk.au
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Another fun fact is that Quokkas abhor crimes against humanity.

• Resol van Lemmy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Everyone has a different interpretation of which side is innocent and which isn’t. And as a result, there will be resulting hatred.