Browsing new or Hot and seeing 15 posts in a row to /imaginarytanks, /imaginarycars, /imaginaryaviation, etc. got old the 2nd time I’ve seen it. I’ve had to resort to blocking the communities and bot that’s just spamming for content.

• Venutian Spring@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s not spam. These communities don’t just magically spring up from nothingness, there are people that have to contribute to these to get them started and to get them to grow. If you don’t like what you see, then block them, but go take a look at @Martineski@lemmy.fmhy.ml profile and you’ll see they’ve done more to help this instance and multiple communities grow than just about anyone else.

Lemmy is still new, if you have a suggestion on how you would like to see things improved good, but complaining about something that you aren’t thinking about thoroughly isn’t helpful at all.

• Martineski@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

At least one person in the comments gave me a good feedback. But to decide what to do I will need to contact the person that works on tags on github and go into an in-depth discussion with him about how it will work when the first stage of the tags isn’t implemented yet…

• Wreckronomicon@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Surely a lot of those subs can just be one single sub, imaginary vehicles would cover tanks, planes, boats, mechs etc…no need for so many

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I’m already trying to bulk up whatever I can into one subs because reddit imaginary subs have a sub for every damn niche thing lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ImaginaryBestOf/wiki/networksublist/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ImaginaryUnofficial/wiki/index/

I will move tanks sub and mecha sub into vehicles sub because they will be adding tags to the platform and unlike reddit you will be able to use multiple tags for one post so there won’t be any need for dedicated subreddits because filtering should be easy enough, you’re right. I think that I will leave aviation sub as it is though because it’s deistinct enough to keep it as a separate sub. Thank for the feedback!

Edit: for example, not long ago I moved imaginary feels into more general sub imaginary emotions, so it’s not like I’m not trying to fight those problems. It’s just a bit confusing to make more general sublemmies because reddit had subreddit for each specific things and it’s hard to shift to doing it in another way haha.

Edit2: yeah, I will need to rethink (again) how I will do things with with imaginary subs. I will stop posting temporarily on the ones that I’m not sure what will happen with them yet.

Edit3: Actually, maybe I will merge imaginary aviation and ships together but I’m not sure how well the platform will work if a community will have tens of tags.

Edit4: Another reason for why I didn’t include everything under a more generalised sublemmies is that if a person subscribes to a community then it will show ALL the posts on it and not only the content that the person is interested it. I pitched an idea on github for advanced filtering options for tags, maybe I should also mention them that it would be good to have an option to subscribe to tags on communities so it doesn’t show all the content from them. But that also sounds like something that will be needed to be done in the backend and will take a really long time to implement, ugh.

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Sublemmy isn’t a thing. It’s community or c/

Seriously, it will help you a lot to stop thinking like this is reddit, because it isn’t, and trying to treat it like it is leads to this kind of thing.

All those niche subs? They didn’t start out there, and weren’t useful for the most part because even with the reddit size user base, there weren’t enough active posters to keep them relevant.

Lemmy is smaller and more distributed. Currently, having ten similar but not exactly the same C/s on the same instance is just going to make discovery harder for each of them. And, it dilutes the content making each one seem unpopulated more than they otherwise would be.

I promise, I’m not bashing you with pedantry over terminology! It’s about the already established culture within lemmy from before the current migration being respected, and shifting the way we think about how we interact with the fediverse.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

I dunno, “sublemmy” specifies that I’m talking about a community on lemmy which is a part of the fediverse so I find it kinda fitting.

Edit: also when I talk about lemmy community outside this platform it’s just quicker to use one word “sublemmy” for it.

• zeus ⁧ ⁧ ∽↯∼@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

i agree with you - I’m personally interested in trains (obviously); but not really cars, tanks, etc. so i like the separate communities

i didn’t know about the tags thing though, that’s interesting. do you have a source?

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Can you tell me what exactly do you dislike? Becasue I will be discussing things with the person that will code it (if he responds).

• zeus ⁧ ⁧ ∽↯∼@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 year ago
                  hooh boy. i'm going to make this foldable because this will be a long comment

in general, i think a hierarchical community system would be leagues better than a tags system. for tags to be really useful, they have first-class citizens: allow me to subscribe to just /c/community@instan.ce#favouritetag (or /c/community#favouritetag@instan.ce?)[1], allow me to subscribe to just that tag with rss, and allow me to add just that tag to a multicommunity, when they’re released. with all of those features, it may as well be a subcommunity, but i digress

this issue seems to be confused between two or three different things called tags, as well, which is an issue for readability but never mind

A post tag would be defined as a “subtitle” of the post inserted by a mod of the community (or an admin) after the post is published, with the purpose of categorizing or adding flair to the community post. It would be displayed in the post listing alongside the title in a smaller font, inside a bordered box, reddit style.

i quite like this. i’m presuming it’d be similar to reddit’s “flair” system

Also, the main usefulness of tags, is being able to list / filter on them, which already works with searching. Lets say a music community requires a [Genre] tag, so if you wanted to list all the rock posts, you could just this: https://dev.lemmy.ml/search/q/[rock]/type/all/sort/topall/page/1.

this i would say is another point in favour of tags, as the mod of a community could add them whereas we currently can’t edit post titles (which is good)

i can’t remember, however, whether reddit allowed >1 flair per post. this seems like something that’s almost compulsory

Have you considered tags as an alternative to sub-communities? It seems to work pretty well for lobste.rs, this is where they discuss their reasoning: lobste.rs/about#tagging

this seems like a terrible idea. i will copy a comment from reddit and the response from the sift developer, which didn’t really solve my qualms:

i feel like this would not be a reddit alternative, more a twitter or tumblr alternative.

subreddits are (or were) disparate communities, with different philosophies. if somebody tags a post with #trans and #gender-critical just because it relates to both; the comments will be an absolute cesspit

That is a reasonable concern. Sift is aiming to be something of a hybrid/hopefully superset that can be used reddit like or twitter/tumbler like.

The community aspect is indeed tricky. The solution we are trying is to use our reputation graph (see my top level post for more information) to pick out which comments get shown to which users.

The hope is that this will allow us to support partially overlapping virtual/individualized communities. In your example the #trans folks can be having a discussion about the article and mostly seeing posts from other #trans folks (because of their graph connections) and the same for the #gender-critical side. What will also (hopefully) happen is that some of the (highest quality|funniest|best reasoned|least offensive|…) things from each side will float up to the top of the graph intersection and maybe give a little bit of a chance for some constructive cross dialog.

Sift is aiming to let everyone be a “mini-moderator” of their own experience and then also propagate that curation to others who will find it useful.

Our model does have potential failure modes of even worse echo chambers, but we are well aware of that and trying our best to design around it.

We’ll be having more discussion of this over at /r/siftquest and (eventually, when it supports discussion better), sift itself.

now i personally dislike that idea. i don’t want my experience curated by a “reputation graph”, i want it curated by me. but this is a bit of a digression as i presume this idea was never really considered

Hierarchicial tags — a cool feature to borrow from Tildes! […]

this actually seems like a reasonable idea, but it was abandoned due to mastodon[2]

I think the idea of using nsfw, cw, and spoiler tags for labelling objectionable content should be considered. This idea originated from Tildes, where hierarchical tags are used to add specifics. I no longer think hierarchical tags are a good idea, however, as they could potentially break compatibility with services that use tags differently.

this is a great idea! there should definitely be more than one “blur post” tag. in fact, an editable CW: reason[3] so that users can pre-emptively block tw tags they don’t even want to see blurred would be great too

to be honest, i think the current “spoiler” formatting is bad as well - it should just be called “folded text” or “<details><summary>” or something, and have a spoiler system that just blurs, or blacks out the text/images which would work as block or inline

I disagree for a couple reasons:
                  \

They would enable better discoverability on non-lemmy software where hashtags are the main topical grouping mechanism right now.

so zcdunn is proposing they’re cross-community? that sounds like it would make things awfully cluttered

While lemmy uses communities for topical grouping, some posts might fit into multiple categories, even unrelated categories. Crossposting sort of solves this, but crossposting can be considered spammy if it’s done too much. And crossposting creates another post which fractures the conversation. This may be desirable sometimes, but a poster may also prefer to keep all the conversation in one spot.

see my thoughts on sift. i’d rather posts be crossposted so that the comments sections would be separated per community

as a less inflammatory example: if a cinnamon news post is tagged Cinnamon and Linux, half the comments will be “man, i could never use cinnamon, they don’t even support wayland”, drowning out actual cinnamon users because there’s less of them

It would allow finer grained filtering of posts, even within a community. Users may be interested in a topic, but not every facet of that topic.

this is the only good use of them, but see my first point

@remram44 I think we’re talking about different types of systems. What i’m suggesting is hashtags that work the same way as the rest of the fediverse. A user could tag their own post when they create it; no other user would be able to tag your post.

You would be able to write a post like this:
                  URL: example.com
                  Title: Whatever
                  Body: Hey check out this interesting #Elixir post that discusses possible #BEAM optimizations
                  Community: !programming@lemmy.ml

and it would have the hashtags Elixir and BEAM. Users on pleroma/mastodon/misskey/etc would be able to find the post on their instance under either of those hashtags.

this is, in my opinion, the worst possible solution. twitter posts read completely disjointedly, as there are random punctuation marks and diffferent coloured text strewn haphazardly throughout the post, like twitter. it becomes almost unreadable. just tag them when posting, like we do with nsfw currently

To add to @techno156:

Protocol:
                  According to w3.org/TR/activitystreams-vocabulary/#dfn-tags a general tag object exists in the ActivityPub protocol. As dessalines said having unmoderated tags is not an option here as it would increase moderation work too much.

emphasis mine

i’m not entirely sure i see this - dessalines never explained why it would increase moderation…

To whoever starts working on tags, can we please add a feature that allows for advanced tag filters? I want for those things to be possible:

1.) Don’t show posts with choosen tags
                  2.) Show posts where all of choosen tags exist
                  3.) Show posts with at least one of choosen tags
                  4.) Show posts with at least one of choosen tags but exclude ones that have choosen unwanted tags

this is another great idea; and ideally would be added to the url scheme as well (/c/community@instan.ce+#wantedtag-#unwantedtag? i’m not sure how to implement this)

@Neshura87 This probably can be a separate issue but if we are about to implement advanced filtering for tags then maybe we could implement date filtering along tag filtering? Saying that here because I thought that ideas/features overlap a lot and it would be better to have it made together. :x

you are on fire here

that’s pretty much everything i have to say, i’m sorry it’s so long. any comment i haven’t commented on i either agree with, am neutral on, or haven’t seen

edit 2023-07-12:

On another topic, it would be awesome having Mastodon-style featured tags, but for communities.

(I’m probably getting ahead of myself.)

this also sounds awful. it will just propagate what is currently popular, making it more popular. this is already a problem with sorttype=active. it will cluster all the conversation into one tag, making it continuously popular. don’t do this.

issue #1459

i missed these, so i’ve never used them; but this seemed like a really good idea

Categories have been removed, and there is #317 for tags.

ah, shame

1. edit: don’t use hashes for this. they don’t work in urls. i’m dumb. ↩︎

2. honestly i feel a lot of my issues stem from interopability with mastodon. i wish we weren’t interoperable with mastodon. the twitter model breeds vapid and pointless comments like this. i’d rather a static tag similar to reddit’s, as that’s designed for a link aggregator not a microblogging site. but maybe that’s just me ↩︎

3. e.g. CW: Gore, CW: Sexual Abuse etc. ↩︎

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Pls no, I will lose all my conversations on the topic of imaginary subs that I did under this post lol

Edit: I made a big screenshot of everything, I don’t care about those conversations under this post anymore

• Seeker of Carcosa@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I feel your pain when browsing local or all for new communities. Luckily bots are usually marked as such. I just block them whenever they pop up. I sort by new by default and I find that the new page refreshes at a decent pace without bots. It’s enjoyable to be completely caught up within a 10-15 min window, rather than doomscrolling as a force of habit.

• hitstun@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I put Fedia.io through this last week. I run @FloatingIsFun which I think is the first active art subreddit on Kbin. I’ve been working on reposting all 400+ posts from the old /r/FloatingIsFun subreddit. For a couple days, my posts got popular and I really spammed up people’s home pages with floaty stuff. It even spread outside Fedia onto other Kbin and Lemmy instances. I felt kinda bad, but I’m glad I got some exposure. The hype subsided after a couple days and things are healthy again.

I’m just glad I’m not alone and there’s some functioning art sublemmies now. Keep up the good work! I hope other subreddits follow us to the Fediverse.

• Madbrad200@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

either browse your home feed & subscribe to subs you wanna see, or block them. There’s always going to be communities you’re not interested in.