• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

https://everynoise.com/

It plots every genre of music on a 2D spectrum (“The calibration is fuzzy, but in general down is more organic, up is more mechanical and electric; left is denser and more atmospheric, right is spikier and bouncier.”)

You can click on any genre and get band recommendations.

Or you can search for a specific band and find other bands plotted similarly.

• InAmberClad@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

As someone who doesn’t use Spotify, this is amazing for music discovery. I should have been in bed a while ago but keep finding new groups to listen to.

• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

From the description, this site seems to either be a Spotify research project, or at least powered by Spotify data in some way. It’s not clear to me.

Every Noise at Once is an ongoing attempt at an algorithmically-generated, readability-adjusted scatter-plot of the musical genre-space, based on data tracked and analyzed for 6,259 genre-shaped distinctions by Spotify as of 2023-07-12.

Personally, I cancelled my spotify account and moved to a combination of Plex and Tidal, but this project is just too cool not to use.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Maybe this will help.

I LOVE “dissolved girl” but I’m not as Gaga about the rest of the band’s material. That sultry style cut with that music tempo is amazing.

It’s like Finger Eleven has their their one massive departure track ‘paranoid’ – all good, but very different.

I’ll be checking this in the hopes it’ll match a track and give me more sexy molasses for my brain.