• Schwim Dandy@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Nobody can even state that it’s actually happening “for competitive browsers” as even Chrome users are reporting an unexplained lag/slowdown. At this point, it’s just wild speculation and bandwagoning.

• LoafyLemon@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

You absolutely can tell what’s happening by reading the source code. They are using a listener and a delay for when ontimeupdate promise is not met, which timeouts the entire connection for 5 full seconds.

https://pastebin.com/TqjzbqQE

• Schwim Dandy@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

I’m sorry but I don’t see how that check is browser-specific. Is that part happening on the browser side?

• PoliticalAgitator@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

They don’t need to put incriminating “if Firefox” statements in their code – the initial page request would have included the user agent and it would be trivial to serve different JavaScript based on what it said.

• phx@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Easy enough to test though. Load the page with a UA changer and see if it still shows up when Firefox pretends to be Chrome

• TastehWaffleZ@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

The video in the linked article does just that. The page takes 5 seconds to load the video, the user changes the UA, they refresh the page and suddenly the video loads instantly. I would have liked to see them change the UA back to Firefox to prove it’s not some weird caching issue though

• phx@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

Yeah, and also Edge or an older version of Chrome etc just to be sure.

• PoliticalAgitator@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

I don’t know, nor am I speculating. The person I was replying to said they didn’t see a browser check in the code, which isn’t enough to dismiss it.

• Karyoplasma
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Well, at least I learned that javascript understands exponential notation. I never even bothered to try that lol

• BolexForSoup@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

It’s not wild speculation as there is compelling, if incomplete, evidence. And to describe everyone’s reaction as “bandwagoning” is ridiculous. Firefox and Mullvad are my daily drivers. This directly impacts me. The fediverse is going to have a disproportionate number of non-chrome users.

• BolexForSoup@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

I’ve duplicated it on 4 machines across 3 OS’s (windows 11, macOS, steamOS). Glad you got lucky. I’m sure you’re also familiar with A/B testing but if not I’m happy to explain it.

It is absolutely possible there is a reasonable explanation but for you to say 1) nothing is happening and 2) it’s “bandwagoning” is, again, ridiculous. Especially if your evidence is “well mine is fine,” which is not acceptable troubleshooting procedure.

• Karyoplasma
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Not all regions are served with the same scripts. That’s why the ad-block pop-up was shown for some users but not for others or at a later time for others. This also affected the update cycle of those anti-adblock scripts.

The reason for that is quite simple. New stuff is rolled out to only some users at first as some sort of beta testing procedure. If many people complain about functionality issues and all of those have the new version of the script, Google knows there is something wrong with it.

• Aradina [She/They]@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

“works fine on my machine lol” is unhelpful and useless.

It’s very well known that Google makes heavy use of a/b testing. They did it with the adblock block and they’re doing it with this

• Ottomateeverything@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

There’s been multiple posts pointing to some possibly “wait for ads to finish loading” type code. It’s quite possible that it’s just bugged in Firefox etc since browsers are horrendously inconsistent etc.

But that doesn’t make a cool headline so instead the “it’s Google being evil” story is the popular one.

• sibachian@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

it was already made public in the lawsuit some weeks ago that they are indeed slowing down youtube for firefox.

• Ottomateeverything@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Source?

I’ve read a lot on this and never saw any conclusive claim here.

There were claims many years ago by Mozilla about this, and it had to do with slow APIs in Mozilla that YouTube was using…

There’s also been many known performance issues in a lot of the APIs/libraries Google/YouTube use on Mozilla for many years. And Mozilla just hasn’t been able to keep up.

I don’t see anything about this in recent history, because everything is just floods of people complaining about this round, with still no conclusive evidence that this is happening intentionally. YouTube is currently on a ad-block-blocker crusade and their code keeps changing and there’s nothing to conclusively indicate that this is malice and not just a bug in the way Mozilla performs.

So as much as everyone seems happy to burn the witch because of poor performance, I’m not ready to jump to that conclusion until there’s actually evidence of this being intentional. Especially when this smells a lot like a long standing different problem. “Someone said they are” is not going to convince me. Especially if you can’t even point to that someone saying that thing.