Okay, so, Idunno if it’s more Sway or Wayland or just getting away from something wrong with my X/herbstluftwm setup but wow everything feels kinda great over here 😅

It’s taken a while to get everything set up how I like but multiple games behave well here and not on X (which is very strange considering I expected more problems with the “new” thingle especially regarding gaming) and also my system feels snappier in general. Nobody told me the switch was gonna be like getting a hardware upgrade but wheee!

Of course, fiddling with things is something I love about Linux so it’s kindof a win-win even with the added work of having to switch over because gush gush Swayland is kinda wonderful 😅

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I’ve just been holding this in for a couple days and can’t find anycritter(s) else to gush at 🤷‍♀️

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

“iT’S oNlY ThE aVAiLablE pRotOcOlS! YOu DOn’T nEED to iMPlEMeNt aLL Of ThEm”

Also: “X11 Is deAD aNd waYlAnD iS THe fUtURE!”

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

On my computer I also use X with my perfect Openbox setup.

I tried Hyprland and labwc but both failed miserably. None of my main tasks worked properly. I could not screen record (yes, I’ve read all the tutorials and tried to do it but OBS simply did not find any screens or windows to record) and Kdenlive just flickers with white and black bars and areas (it actually crashed so hard that it destroyed my config and I need to re-setup it under X11). YouTube had noticeably worse performance and video quality. Also: Gaming was basically impossible (not starting at all or extremely worse performance - and yes, I’ve read the tutorials on this, too).

All of this may be due to the fact that I have an Nvidia card in my computer. But I’m not going to replace perfectly fine working hardware just because my display manager does not support it properly (which is entirely Nvidias fault, but still) so I stick with X11 until my graphics card needs to be replaced.

On my laptop I run Hyprland without any issues except one, but on my laptop I don’t do screen recording or watch 4K videos or do video editing or do gaming. For this use case it’s very well suited.

Wayland may be ready for certain environments/tasks, but in my opinion X11 is just much more compatible with anything.