Okay, so, Idunno if it’s more Sway or Wayland or just getting away from something wrong with my X/herbstluftwm setup but wow everything feels kinda great over here 😅

It’s taken a while to get everything set up how I like but multiple games behave well here and not on X (which is very strange considering I expected more problems with the “new” thingle especially regarding gaming) and also my system feels snappier in general. Nobody told me the switch was gonna be like getting a hardware upgrade but wheee!

Of course, fiddling with things is something I love about Linux so it’s kindof a win-win even with the added work of having to switch over because gush gush Swayland is kinda wonderful 😅

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I’ve just been holding this in for a couple days and can’t find anycritter(s) else to gush at 🤷‍♀️

• pimeys@lemmy.nauk.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Yep. I switched from xorg/i3 years ago, and it was already super snappy back then compared to the previous setup. Today everything works with Wayland, and I don’t really need to think about it anymore.

But, ymmv. I avoid Nvidia’s products, which helps a lot for the stability.

• Joe Bidet@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

same here.

my first switch from x to wayland was on the pinephone and that convinced me to make the big jump elsewhere. that feeling of snappiness you describe, from not having all the screen refreshed all the time i gues…?

• featherfurl@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Sway is just well made, solid and reliable. It does what you need it to do, and it does it properly.

• 0x0@social.rocketsfall.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

It’s good! I don’t think I felt any jump in performance from X/i3 -> Sway, though, but have definitely seen people reporting that.

It’s taken a while to get everything set up how I like but multiple games behave well here and not on X

In my experience most games still run under XWayland. It’s possible some aspect of your X11/herbstluftwm config was causing your issues in that regard.

• RiikkaTheIcePrincess@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Well, I have this:
      https://github.com/solarkraft/awesome-wlroots

Then there are some bits like bemoji (emoji selecty thingy) and getting getting grim (and now swappy!) set up to handle screenshottage, aaand getting Sway to behave (mostly?) like herbstluftwm through tricks like
      bindsym $mod+1 [workspace="1"] move workspace to output current; workspace number 1 (which seems kinda odd but whatever; I don’t care that much at the moment and it works fine 😅🤷‍♀️)
      Aand there’s this lil pile of stuff to get some things to use their Wayland modes (and some other fiddly bits that may not be Wayland-related): MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland-egl QT_WAYLAND_FORCE_DPY=physical ECORE_EVAS_ENGINE=wayland_egl ELM_ENGINE=wayland_egl SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1 GDK_BACKEND=wayland which probably isn’t all necessary but whatever, somecritter will probably say something if it isn’t 😅

Never gonna take Terminology with the Nyan Cat cursor away from me, though 😝Not unless there’s something better that also has cats and/or rainbows, anyway.

• db2@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

One of the advantages Wayland has is not having kludges 42 levels deep. But of course Y-Windows had that advantage also.

• donio@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

not having kludges 42 levels deep

There are already almost a hundred extension protocols and you need dozens of them to implement just barebones desktop functionality. If you look under the surface the Wayland ecosystem is arguably already more complex than X11 ever was and it’s only going to get worse.

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

“iT’S oNlY ThE aVAiLablE pRotOcOlS! YOu DOn’T nEED to iMPlEMeNt aLL Of ThEm”

Also: “X11 Is deAD aNd waYlAnD iS THe fUtURE!”

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

On my computer I also use X with my perfect Openbox setup.

I tried Hyprland and labwc but both failed miserably. None of my main tasks worked properly. I could not screen record (yes, I’ve read all the tutorials and tried to do it but OBS simply did not find any screens or windows to record) and Kdenlive just flickers with white and black bars and areas (it actually crashed so hard that it destroyed my config and I need to re-setup it under X11). YouTube had noticeably worse performance and video quality. Also: Gaming was basically impossible (not starting at all or extremely worse performance - and yes, I’ve read the tutorials on this, too).

All of this may be due to the fact that I have an Nvidia card in my computer. But I’m not going to replace perfectly fine working hardware just because my display manager does not support it properly (which is entirely Nvidias fault, but still) so I stick with X11 until my graphics card needs to be replaced.

On my laptop I run Hyprland without any issues except one, but on my laptop I don’t do screen recording or watch 4K videos or do video editing or do gaming. For this use case it’s very well suited.

Wayland may be ready for certain environments/tasks, but in my opinion X11 is just much more compatible with anything.