• Dandroid@dandroid.app
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I recently moved to a place with fiber and paid out the ass for gigabit. I just got a new game on Steam that was 130GB, and it downloaded in about 30-35 minutes. Insanity.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

paid out the ass for gigabit

That’s an odd payment method tbh. Fiber isn’t available in my area yet so that may be the reason for the difference, but my isp just subtracts money from my bank account! There’s little to no ass involvement at all!

• FunkyClown@lemmy.fail
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Same! I pay nearly double what I was paying for 100mbps but it’s worth it. As soon as the service was enabled in my building I signed up straight away. In the same place 3 years ago I was only getting 14mbps as my only option!

• Lasombra@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah fiber so so good, I pay like $22 each month for 500 mbps. It’s a bit expensive so I don’t dare go for full gig

I once had a full gig fiber connection for free in my student apartment, it was glorious. Before that I had like 50 mbps so it’s hard to go back to that after the full gig

• Lasombra@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s cheap? Well call me ignorant or uninformed then.

But no it’s just the internet plan with a discount of $11 per month because my apartment complex has some deal with the internet provider.

• s_s@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

Lol. My apartment has a “deal” with our internet provider. A combo wifi/switch/modem is provided with the apartment and I have to pay an extra $15 a month.

What a deal!

Grand total is only $165US a month for unlimited 1GB down and something terrible up

• UnverifiedAPK@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

Well I guess it depends on your Country/State, the cheapest fiber in my area is $50 for 500mbps