• Default_Defect@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I will never understand the need for a shit load of tabs for personal use. Work/school stuff, sure, but having tabs open for stuff “in case I need it later” is insane. Bookmark it.

• at_an_angle@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Not important enough to bookmark, too important to close.

Pinning a tab hits the middle ground between these.

• lukini@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

How is something not important enough to bookmark? It’s not a permanent action. You can even create folders.

• Azzu@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I have vertical tabs, so I can see ~30 tabs clearly on one window. Long time non-visited tabs also use no resources. Bookmarking would just be one more click, moving the tab somewhere not easily visible.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

My bookmarks are clearly visible and take only a single click to open. If you didn’t have a ton of tabs just sitting there, maybe opening a new one wouldn’t “move it somewhere not easily visible.”

• Azzu@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I have no bookmarks displayed, so doing it your way would only lose screen space for me. Tabs are displayed in any case, bookmarks or no.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

My bookmarks are on the same level as my address bar, I lose no space to this other than having a slightly shorter address bar, which is too long anyway.

• IzyaKatzmann [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

If you go to a library and study, you have some desk space in front of you, would you spread out your stuff (e.g. notes, textbook, laptop, supplementary books) to try and get it all out?

Likewise, does your work desk (say at home) have a bunch of stuff on it that you don’t use moment-to-moment, but you keep them in close proximity because in the event that you do need them, the effort (or energy) expenditure of having it contribute to clutter is less than the amount it would take to get it or find it in the event you needed it?

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Sure, but I don’t consider the less than a second of waiting for the page to load to be an inconvenience. Maybe you’re saving milliseconds by having your bukkake of tabs, but I don’t need to reference things that quickly.

• Nyla Smokeyface@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I’m scared if I bookmark it I’ll forget about its existence or it’ll get lost in the thousands of other bookmarks I have