I’m interviewing for a night shift position in a couple days and I’ve always worked 8-4 or 9-5. I’m a little scared of the idea though! I’m worried about seeing my family less because my sleep schedule will be totally different than theirs.

So, night shift workers of the world, what has your experience been like and how do you manage being present in your family life?
  • Frater Mus@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What’s it like working night shift?

• constant fatigue
    • constantly explaining to the same people over and over that you are not available in the daytime because that’s when you sleep

source: worked night shift for many years

• hibbfd@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

also weight gain. I worked 6pm-6am for almost 2 years straight and gained 40lbs without changing my eating habits.

started drinking every morning after work too. and days (nights) off were a total clusterfuck. wake up, hit the grocery store before they close, start drinking because wtf else am I gonna do at 11pm alone in my camper with no wifi and spotty cell signal. my experience is probably not the norm lol

• DBT@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

If you started drinking everyday your eating habits changed. You started taking in more calories.