I think its time to replace my old, outdated by the time I got it, HP Pavilion. Its served me well through school, but its time to get something a bit faster (HP is HDD).

I am a music student, so originally I was thinking about getting a 9th Gen iPad that I could use for typing notes, writing out notes on staff paper, and as an e reader for various sheet music so I don’t have to print things out so much and keep up with tons of music folders.

On the other end, I recently found a walmart near me with a heavily marked down Acer Nitro with a 3050ti. I already have a windows desktop (which ironically has a worst graphics card than this laptop) with a 500GB SSD and all the perks of windows. I can easily type notes on it, and I will be able to more easily deal with the things I have to print for my job. I would also be able to game some on the weekends without having to move my whole desktop setup home when I visit.

However, the downside of not being able to view sheet music is still there, and is frustrating, but since the two would be similar in cost once I got everything I needed for the ipad to be comparable.

What do y’all think? iPad or gaming laptop?

• stormtrooper@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

iPad for the reasons you mentioned. Not being able to play games could be an issue, but getting a controller connected with the iPad opens up a lot of chances for a surprising level of gaming, and you can always go back to your desktop when needed. But being able to have all your stuff in such a slim device is definitely a plus.

• dunloap@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Unquestionably the laptop. Acer nitros are solid, just don’t be afraid when it reaches temps of 90°C+ because that’s normal

The only reason to buy an iPad is for making art

• HectorBarbossa99@lemmy.fmhy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think I’m definitely going for the Acer. I will definitely keep an eye out for it getting that hot- should I expect it when just doing general use or specifically for gaming?

• dunloap@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

on the model I think. They’re designed to run at very high temperatures though. Ideally it should only get hot when in highperformance mode and when gaming or doing intensive tasks, but mine gets hot every time I plug it in (always been like this, think its a defect). But yeah, it shouldn’t get hot when browsing, casual use etc.

Also, mine has been running at over 90°c for thousands of hours in total

Actually one more thing, its not ideal to have it that hot because it causes thermal thermal throttling (performance drops).

• anton416@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I really valued my iPad’s form-factor for digital textbooks and note taking while in college. Gaming laptops also tend to not have the best battery life so you aught to weigh what you really need to use it for.

• UncleClerk@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

In my experience having both is ideal. Laptop for getting any real work done (essays, presentations research etc). iPad is ideal for note taking and digital textbooks. If I could only pick one, laptop.

• Alkuam@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Are you familiar with linux at all? Even if you’re not, I’d suggest throwing something like linux mint with the cinnamon desktop (the interface is pretty close to windows) on your old laptop and keep it as a backup.

I found it to come in handy when windows “shits the bed” or if I have to do any partition work.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I am actually trying to do something very similar! I am attempting to start either a plex server or a jellyfin server on it, since it’s not too old to do that, but we’ll have to see how it plays out! Currently stressing over how to get it setup to where I can use it when I’m at college/how my grandfather can access some of the content at his house (his netflix is being screwed by their new rules)

• eendjes@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Something to keep in mind is that gaming laptops are large, heavy and clunky. For my own studies it was definitely a mistake, as it was a real hassle and I only occasionally needed the extra power.

I would go for an iPad and a desktop for gaming at home personally.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is probably the exact direction I am going to take. The ability to read music without having to print it alone would make the ipad worth it. May have to get an apple pencil too.

The ability to play games at home on the weekends without having to carry my desktop would be nice though, and is very tempting

• Mhlindsey@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

As someone who used an ipad for sheet music, its definitely super nice, especially with the apple pencil for wuick markups. I’m extremely disorganized so having all of my music in one app was a ligesaver multiple times

• Binnen@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Look to the Ipad 12.9 (can buy one of the folder generations, plenty of performance) if you want to read sheet music. Close to a4 size. If not for performing/rehearsing the sheet music and just for reference/classes etc can make do with something smaller. Note that Ipad pro has 4:3 aspect ratio, Close to 1.41:1 of paper, while other devices typically 16:9 making a4 sized music hard to show without a lot of zooming out.

3050 laptop for games seems like a Great value, and get a smaller 2-in-1 or an older Ipad in the case you dont need a full sized 12.9 inch ipad

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think I’m going to get either an older ipad or just a cheap tablet just to use as an ereader. Not sure what tablet would be a good deal though!