I just bought a mini PC to use as a Plex Server and realised that maybe it’s a good way to host my Home Assistant instance as well. Currently HA is on a raspberry pi 4.

What’s the best approach to get both running on a mini PC? And is it even the best approach or should I just leave HA the way it is now?

Mini PC I got is the Beelink EQ12

• yesterdayshero@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Sorry for the dumb question, but would I be able to achieve something similar to the Plex server Docker config you shared, but without docker? If I don’t bother trying to get HA running on the same mini PC?

I might have a play around with the mini PC before I try do anything major with HA.

Edit: have found a couple guides, so will try it out.

• tehcpengsiudai@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Hey if you haven’t heard, HAOS has a community add-on for Plex - which is basically docker instance of Plex under the hood.

You might wanna check that out.

I would give priority to HAOS because it removes a ton of setup headaches with other add-ons you might use like Z2M until you establish a proper home lab pipeline.

You’d lose the add-on store if you go the HA docker route and you’d have to manage some networking config within docker if you need to setup other containers to be used with HA - Eg: MariaDB, MQTT Servers, etc…