• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Nissan and its partners have announced a £2bn plan to build three electric car models at its Sunderland factory.

This is in addition to the current factory adjacent to the car plant, and a further gigafactory already being built by its partner, AESC.

Nissan will spend £1.12bn on preparing its UK facilities and supply chain for the new models and training its workforce.

Earlier this year, Nissan’s chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta, who has since left the firm, said that the UK would struggle to remain competitive with other car-making countries because of higher manufacturing costs, elevated by energy bills and inflation.

Alan Johnson, Nissan’s senior vice president of manufacturing and supply chain, told the BBC’s Today programme that the UK “can be a competitive place for car production, but everything needs to be right”.

The UK government has provided support for Nissan through the Automotive Transformation Fund.

The original article contains 287 words, the summary contains 148 words. Saved 48%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!