I do this by default when trying to establish relationships with people and my track record is not good.

Though believe it or not, sometimes it does not turn people away!

• mayo_cider [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

For me it definitely was, I spent seven years in a deep depression and tried to hide it from everyone as long as possible, so when I got back on my feet and got accepted to a university I decided that I would be open about everything I went through to help normalize mental health problems and maybe give someone some needed perspective

The problem was that after growing up quite introverted and then spending the first half of my twenties locked up in my apartment afraid of social situations I went from one extreme to the other and ended up trauma dumping on anyone who showed any interest in talking to me, and wishing they’d accept me with all my problems and be my friend, because I was afraid to be alone any longer

I felt like I had to open up about everything and tell my every flaw just to make sure that the other person accepted me as is and wouldn’t have to waste time to get to know me just to be disappointed

On the upside, I gained a group of friends with similar pasts and got couple of people to reconsider their situation

That was the thing that actually helped me, the friends gave me a healthy outlet for my emotions and also the confidence that I wouldn’t be alone once again even if the next person I met wasn’t going to be my next best (and only) friend

Recovery takes time and learning, but as you said, not everyone turns away

It probably gets better and easier over time, but even if it doesn’t, you already have people in your life who accept you as you are, and you can be sure that they know exactly where you stand and they choose to stand by you