Welcome to the Melbourne Community Daily Discussion Thread.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I have found that having different interests and to some extent different priorities is not the obstacle that society thinks it is.

Compromise, respect and good will is most important. Usually a good partnership will nurture each person in their growth, interests and aims.

Miss Seagoon learnt this the hard way, her 1st husband actively discouraged her career and interests to the point where discouragement wasn’t enough to stop her, he started abusing her. He just had no interest in an equal partnership or her as a person.

What I’m saying is. If it feels very right then pursue it. This good feeling rare. You can sort out the rest later.

• fullkitwanker@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

That’s the thing though. I do want to pursue it but it wouldn’t be fair to either of us. She wants to get married soon, I don’t. She wants kids, I’m a maybe. And the biggest one is she needs to marry a Christian.

• Catfish@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

The religion thing can sometimes work out, but kids is utterly non negotiable. Somebody will end up miserable and resentful. Until you can absolutely say which side of the fence you fall on, something serious cannot be on the table.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

I suggest talking about it with her.

Family pressure will evaporate when they see how happy she is. :)