I usually try to stay out of the whole snap vs flatpak discussion. Although I am just really confused as to why flatpak just does not seem to care about usability. You’re trying to create a universal packaging format I would think the point of it is that a user can just install an app and after reviewing permissions it should “just work”.

There are so many issues that yes, have simple solutions, but why are these issues here in the first place.

These are the issues that I have encountered that annoy me:

• Themes, cursors being inconsistent (needs to be fixed manually with flatpak --user override
  • IDE’s are unusable without extensions

At least snap provides an option --classic to make the app work. Please explain to me why flatpak just evidently refuses to take this same approach.

• effingjoe@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I can’t say with any specifics but flatpaks are sandboxed on purpose, when you override something you’re giving it more (or less) permissions than the developer thought they’d need. “Automatically giving permissions the developer didn’t think they’d need” seems like a crazy thing to try to automate, no?

Check out Flatseal if you haven’t already. It’s a GUI for flatpak permissions. Might make your life easier in the future.

• ErnieBernie10@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah I understand the reason why it is the way it is. I think it should be simplified. Just a pop-up box asking the user if it’s ok if flatpak gains Access to path x. That’s what I have in my mind. Maybe with time it will improve.

• effingjoe@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

How do you propose that they trigger that popup? How would flatpak or the application know to ask if you wanted to add those extra permissions?

• BaroqueInMind@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I can feel your anger and frustration in your messages here and I just wanted to say I think your idea is fantastic and you have an ally here to fight with you.

• effingjoe@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

It was mostly rhetorical. There’s no way to know that you want the application to have extra access to some folder needed for your theme. That’s the exact kind of thing that would be better handled on a user-input level. You applied your theme, you notice that it is broken with the app, you apply the new expanded permissions to get it to work with your theme.