In audio intercepts from the front lines in Ukraine, Russian soldiers speak in shorthand of 200s to mean dead, 300s to mean wounded. The urge to flee has become common enough that they also talk of 500s — people who refuse to fight.

As the war grinds into its second winter, a growing number of Russian soldiers want out, as suggested in secret recordings obtained by The Associated Press of Russian soldiers calling home from the battlefields of the Kharkiv, Luhansk and Donetsk regions in Ukraine.

The calls offer a rare glimpse of the war as it looked through Russian eyes — a point of view that seldom makes its way into Western media, largely because Russia has made it a crime to speak honestly about the conflict in Ukraine. They also show clearly how the war has progressed, from the professional soldiers who initially powered Vladimir Putin’s full-scale invasion to men from all walks of life compelled to serve in grueling conditions.

“There’s no f------ ‘dying the death of the brave’ here,” one soldier told his brother from the front in Ukraine’s Kharkiv region. “You just die like a f------ earthworm.”

• SCB@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

They should get real support that helps them move on from their old job, rather than reinforcing an identity that is harming them

• frezik@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Perhaps we could form some kind of club that would create the basis of that support.

• SCB@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

That again just reinforces the nonsensical “veteran mindset”

Being in the military is a job. I supporting taking care of veterans the way I support paying teachers vastly more.

It isn’t an identity. It’s just a thing a person did, for compensation, years ago.

• Cinner@lemmy.worldB
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

It isn’t an identity. It’s just a thing a person did, for compensation, years ago.

A thing that only certain people do, and no one outside that small number of people actually realize what it was like and what life is like after. So having a “club” where you can go and hang out with people who actually understand what life was/is like after doing what you did, isn’t a bad thing.

I’ll repeat what another member said above:

The VFW is a club that hopes it withers away from lack of new members.

• splicerslicer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Unfathomably naive. Of all “jobs” done for “compensation” the military is the only one where you can be forced against your will to kill or be killed. To watch people die by your hand, to watch your friends die. To watch Innocents die. For some types of trauma not restricted to the military alone, there is no “getting over it”. It lives with you the rest of your life

• SCB@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

That’s why those people should seek mental health professionals, preferably for free.

• 20hzservers@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 months ago

I’m here to help and provide information or assistance on a wide range of topics. If something seems weird or if you have a specific question or topic you’d like to discuss, feel free to let me know, and I’ll do my best to assist you!

–ChatSCB

• 20hzservers@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  7 months ago

I’m here to help and provide information or assistance on a wide range of topics. If something seems weird or if you have a specific question or topic you’d like to discuss, feel free to let me know, and I’ll do my best to assist you!

–ChatSCB