Health experts say axing plan to block sales of tobacco products to next generation will cost thousands of lives

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Like I said. Mainly because if someone lights up, they’ll smoke the whole cigarette. Not half. But if they didn’t get enough nicotine from one, instead of not smoking again for a couple hours, they may smoke again after just 45 minutes or so. Or even start chain smoking.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Smoking more IS the adjustment. Take some nicotine away, they’ll crave more nicotine.

• mindbleach@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Or they’ll adjust to how much is in what they’re used to smoking. Their bodies will adjust. Because cravings are driven by exposure.

• ColeSloth
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

And they’ll smoke more in order to get the exposure they’re used to.

• ColeSloth
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

You don’t really know how an addiction works, do you? Nevermind that being a question for you to answer. I suppose I already know you don’t.

• mindbleach@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  7 months ago

Do you know how quitting an addiction works? Ideally… you take less.

That’s not a paradox or a gotcha. It’s the only way people break the cycle. You understand that cycle can be deepened. You seem absolutely confident there’s no other direction.

• ColeSloth
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    7 months ago

You seem to think the people having low nicotine cigarettes forced on them want to quit smoking.

And no. I’m not saying there is no other direction. Upping the age every year would work. Upping the prices would work, but is a ln asshole move for a government to make, banning cigarettes would work. Lowering nicotine in cigarettes is what wouldn’t work. It’s straight up something that would make the smoking related health issues of an entire country worse instead of better.