My wife and I currently own one EV. We live in the U.S. Midwest where winter months do have an impact on battery performance. Our other car is my older 2002 Honda CR-V. It has over 187k miles on it, but has been very reliable, usually just requiring general maintenance and replacements as the years and miles have come. We have two older dogs that occupy the back of the car for longer road trips. Given announcements of solid state batteries arriving in a few years or so, I am deliberating between buying a compact SUV EV within a couple years or waiting for 3–4 years to see of solid state batteries have arrived in vehicles from good automotive brands. The Ioniq has caught my eye since last year and I’m curious if any current owners wish to share their experience or thoughts on the vehicle after owning it for some time. Thanks!

• mikestew@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Solid state batteries get here when they get here, and ignore the hype. Over the decades I don’t recall that I’ve ever heard a breathless battery announcement that’s going to change the world, and then had that battery technology pan out when scaled to industrial levels. IOW, yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Buy what you need today, otherwise you’re likely to “wait 3-4 years” and then, oops, those batteries are still five years away (as they always seem to be) and now you’ve waited nine years while driving a twenty (well, closer to thirty now) year old car.

• ǟɦɨʍֆǟ ɮʝօʀռ@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Thanks for the reply. I test drove one a few weeks ago and the build quality was nice but the required manual adjustment of the regenerative breaking was annoying in my opinion. Also USB-A ports instead of C and recent reports of some quality issues with KIA AND Hyundai battery charging is keeping me cautious toward the brand. Now likely waiting another 1–2 years but looking at Volvo, Acura, Tesla, and Fisker.