My Prusa MK4 kit just arrived and I’m looking forward to seeing how assembly differs from the MK3s. I’m not going to have a chance to work on it until Friday though.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍@social.fossware.spaceOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I used to joke that if people didn’t eat the gummy bears per the instructions their first layer calibration would take 10 extra tries. Now that there’s no first layer calibration that won’t work.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’d say for people new to the hobby the best choices at $1000 (or a little under) are the Prusa MK4 and the Bamboo Lab P1S. The former say they’re focusing on quality (with speed as a side-effect) and user support, while the later is focused speed. The Prusa is also a little bit cheaper if you buy it as a kit. And building your own printer with Prusa’s excellent, constantly refined, instructions is a great way to really get to know your printer.

At the ~$500 level is the Creality K1 which I don’t know much about. Creality printers tend to be hit-or-miss though, and don’t expect support outside of other people on the internet.

Another printer you’ll hear about is the Voron, but that’s not really for beginners.

• ffhein@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Was it ever? I mean sure, it’s always been seen as a solid choice if you have $1000 to blow on a printer, but I would think the default is to buy a Chinese $100-300 printer. About 4 years ago the Ender 3 was a good choice for a first printer, but since then Creality went up in price and down in quality unfortunately. From what I’ve heard the Sovol SV06 for $250 ought to be the go to first printer for anyone on a budget right now.

All cheap printers tend to have some kind of flaw(s), but most of the time you can fix it by spending a bit of time on tinkering, printing some mod, or buying some upgrade. I think a lot of people getting into 3d printing think tinkering with and upgrading the printer is part of the fun, and don’t have a large budget.

On the other hand, some people have more money than free time and just want to print things. With Prusa you’re also getting unparalleled customer support included in price, and you’re getting a product made in Europe, if that’s something you value.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Creality never made a printer that was worth the materials they were made out out. They just sold so many that there were still lots of people on the better side of QA bell curve.

• GreyBeard@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If you want to build your own printer, and have the spare change, Prusa is still a top teir hobby printer. If you want to save some cash, the Ender printers are reasonably close in quality and significantly cheaper. I would personally go Prusa MK4 if I was starting over again. My MK3 was fun to build and has been very solid for years.

• NiyaShy@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

No neutral packaging? Almost looks like they want to get their printers snatched from porches…
    Anyway, congrats on your new workhorse ^^

• A few years ago they started to wrap them in black plastic to slow thefts. And they found it lead to them getting mistreated by shipping companies a lot more - and fewer working printers were ultimately making it to people.

I’ve seen speculation in the 3d printer community that when people see a foreign origin package that just squeaked under the import duty cost and wrapped in black they assume it’s something for some rich jerk and may treat the package accordingly. But when they see it’s a tool frequently used for regular folks to set up a side hustle, they’re nicer to it.

• BroBot9000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So jelly!

Been wanting to get into printing for a good while now.

Would this one be good for a starter?

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s among several good options right now, we’ve entered a new era for fast, high quality home 3d printing. I got the MK4 because I’m already in the Prusa ecosystem, I expect (from experience) that this machine should just work for many years, and I know that if it doesn’t Prusa’s support is the much better than most companies at the price point. Additionally, I have some specific applications in mind that I think their “Nextruder” and load sensor will excel at.

That said, Prusa is trying to hurriedly catch up to recent competition and they have shipped a somewhat incomplete printer (at least in terms of firmware). If you want a full look at current state of the MK4 this Tom Sanladerer video is going to be better at it than I am.

• SuburbanHaikuist@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s probably not a lot different than the MK3s. Just some upgraded components but it looks like they’re all in the same place. The extruder looks a bit more complicated.

• poofy_cat@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Mine just shipped today, after waiting three months exactly. Pretty excited.