When I want to add a hole feature, I need to first sketch and constrain a circle where the hole is supposed to be. This would make a bit more sense if the hole actually followed the constraints of the circle, but it doesn’t – I could constrain the sketch of the circle to be one radius, and then, at the same time, specify that the hole be a completely different radius. I feel like it would make much more sense if the hole actually followed the dimensions of the sketch of the circle. If the sketch is just used for the placement of the hole, then it should be enough to simply place a point (which does not currently work – I must sketch a circle).

Edit 1: It looks like there is an open issue for this on GitHub.

• digilec@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is the reason I exclusively use pockets not holes. This works great for 3d-printing but wont work as well if you intend to export to CAM systems that can use a drill to make the holes.

• Kalcifer@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

This works great for 3d-printing but wont work as well if you intend to export to CAM systems that can use a drill to make the holes.

Why’s that?

• digilec@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I think the hole feature directly translates into drill instructions in compatible output formats. Where pocket just modifes the 3d shape, not that you couldn’t use a drill but it would need more software to spot the hole like shape and use a drill for it.