While firms’ adoption of AI is still relatively low, rapid progress including with generative AI (e.g. ChatGPT), falling costs and the increasing availability of workers with AI skills suggest that OECD countries may be on the brink of an AI revolution. It is vital to gather new and better data on AI uptake and use in the workplace, including which jobs will change, be created or disappear, and how skills needs are shifting. When considering all automation technologies including AI, 27% of jobs are in occupations at high-risk of automation. Initial findings from a new OECD survey of AI’s impact in the manufacturing and finance sectors of seven countries highlight both the opportunities and risks that AI brings.

We really need UBI, de-commodified housing, and medicare for all to stabilize society during the transition to post-singularity.

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

80% of all jobs on the planet will be affected by AI. 80%! A company managed to get an AI trained on a company specific LLM to complete EIGHT YEARS worth of one employee’s work in 5 minutes. Let that sink in for a minute. 8 years worth of work in 5 minutes. My employer has highly trained, highly educated analysts that compile reports that take about 3 weeks worth of research and mathematics. An AI can compile a similar report in half a second. Some of us, most of us in fact, are truly fucked. AI could help us finally build a utopian society, but I’m pretty sure that it’ll end up benefiting like 100 people and everyone else will be left to fight over garbage to eat.

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

My company already has ChatGPT-4 trained on a company specific LLM, and we’re being actively encouraged to use it. I’ll admit, it’s actually completely amazing, and has increased our productivity like 400% or more. But I’m under no illusions that they’d still keep everyone once they figure out how to get ChatGPT to do our jobs, instead of just helping us do our jobs. I’ve been hearing for 20 years that computers would take my job. Every time I looked at the output from said computers I was like “LOL”. When I saw the output from ChatGPT-4 I was like “uh oh”.

• agentshags@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

And yet for all the costs they save on with AI, workers are still on food stamps, and can barely pay rent

Seems like robotics all over again

• reverendz@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This would be something amazing, except for capitalism.

Industrialization produces enough to provide for basic needs. But hoarding immense wealth means the masses suffer so the few can live high on the hog.

One fact not taken into account: if society doesn’t change, laying off 30% of the workforce is a recipe for pitchforks and torches.