link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

By forcing Islamic women to wear bikinis and mini-skirts?

If you are against females wearing clothes because you must to see their naked bodies who is the oppressor and who is the oppressed? You are claiming to be in favor of female rights by RESTRICTING female rights to wear their desired clothes? And then claiming all women who don’t adhere to your ideology are forced to wear those clothes?

Do all western women also wear clothes because society forces them to do so? Should we just ban all clothes to show how much we care about female rights?

Many people see the France as an oppressive society that degrades women and treats them as second class citizens when they force women to remove their headscarves and dresses.

• DigitalAudio@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Makes sense. If you really want to fight religion with regulation, ban mosques and churches, ban public religious speeches. It still won’t work, but at least it’s consequent with your logic.

But banning hijabs and stuff is probably not going to help anyone.

• TopRamenBinLaden@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

While I agree that this law is dumb, I don’t think these clothes are the ‘desired clothes’ that most women would choose on their own with no outside coercion. Many Islamic women wear these kind of clothes because of the intense pressure put on them to do so from their friends, family, and peers. If they dress differently, they are shunned and shamed.

I will concede that some woman out there would maybe choose to wear that on their own with unlimited choices, but the rest of the world and history has shown that women don’t tend to want fully cover themselves from head to toe when given other options, unless it’s cold out.

This law will do nothing to help that problem at all, though, and it will probably only act to make that pressure stronger as a pushback. It’s not just Islam that does this, either. Many other religious institutions put this pressure on their women.