• UNWILLING_PARTICIPANT@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Also a tertiary function of schools is to act publically funded daycare. Moving the handoff later in the morning means that parents would also need to start work later, or take on fewer hours.

Not saying that wouldn’t be a good thing, but there are knock-on effects that go beyond the clout of a school to tackle.

• Moneo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Or we could design our cities and towns to allow kids to commute to school on their own.

• Moneo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

This is a good point but afaik most school boards are directly controlled/influenced by the municipality which does have control over that.

• UNWILLING_PARTICIPANT@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I’ll have to take your word on it. Maybe I’ll bring it up next time a canvasser comes around, if I think of it. So many causes to keep track of these days… 😞

• Alexstarfire@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Middle and high schoolers sure, but elementary schoolers, especially kindergarten and first grade? I know plenty of parents who wouldn’t let their kid walk down the street to school at that age.

Still, if there’s one thing America sucks at, it’s having people do healthy things. I’m very grateful I WFH, for now, and don’t have to wake up until 10AM.