I am looking for a nice ebook reader app for android but it’s proving to be quite difficult. Every app I stumble open misses at least a few things I want. So here is a list of things I want:

-Material You UI

-Custom themes

-Font selection

-Dictionary or translator integration

-Page view (NO scrolling through the book)

A few things that could be nice but not necessary:

-I use Foliate on desktop so a way to sync with that

-Make white parts of the black and white pictures same color as the backgroud.

I think that’s all. I searched a lot but to no avail. Hopefully this community helps me and others. Thank you guys in advance.

• Guenther_Amanita@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I was at the same spot as you a few months ago and searched for the same.
    Pretty much all of the FOSS readers sucked UX wise.
    There were a few great proprietary ones on the PlayStore, but they were crammed up with ads and trackers.

Lastly I switched to Librera, which was the best FOSS reader I tried.
    But even that wasn’t great.

So, I’ll give you a completely different advice than all the other commenters here: buy yourself an e-reader.

I did the same and couldn’t be more happy!
    I’m a big fan of “do one thing and do it right” (I made my phone pretty dumb and also own a digital camera for example).

Readers feel superb. They have a very comfortable display (almost like reading on real paper), don’t distract you and the battery lasts for weeks.
    You can also sync them easily via USB.

Just don’t buy a Kindle. Aim for a more open solution, like a Tolino or Kobo.

• musaoruc@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I would buy one if I could at this point. But our money is really shit right now and I am a student trying to stay alive. Thanks for the recommendation though.

• appel@whiskers.bim.boats
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yep get a second hand Kobo for £30 and install Koreader on it. Or if you fancy, Kindles can be had cheaper, but they will require a jailbreak to use Koreader.

• MrMagnesium12@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

You can install KOReader on Android as well. Well it lacks OPs material Design requirement, but it fulfills the other.

• sfera@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Aim for a more open solution, like a Tolino or Kobo.

Pocketbook runs Linux, IIRC.