• Number of votes for posts and comments differ from instance to instance (sometimes drastically, 300 vs 30 for example)
  • Number of comments differ from instance to instance (meaning you can “miss” some comments on one instance, because they simply aren’t there)
  • Order of posts and comments differ from instance to instance (even with the same sorting option)
  • If you leave the post open in the tab, you can come back to that tab later, only to see that it is a completely different post than the one you opened, but the comments are still from the original post.
  • On the front page, more post will sometimes randomly start loading from the top, those posts usually come from a specific community and are old posts (sometimes very old)

Does anyone else experience this?
Are those simply bugs, “features”, problems with specific instances, or just the shortcomings of this kind of platform?

• Vittelius@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

1-3 are shortcomings of federated platforms. Not all servers are aware of every other server leading to certain informations be fetched in a different order or not at all.

4 is a bug

5 is also a bug, this one has already been fixed in the code, the next release of the server software is going to address this issue. I’ve read that the devs are trying to release this version next week

Edit: fixed layout for better readability

• WistfulOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thank you for the response.
      I have one more question…
      Given enough time, if people stop interacting with the certain post, are all the votes and comments going to synchronize at the end, so that they match across the instances? Or are there some other factors that make that impossible?

• darcy
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Huh I’m new to this - it seems more complicated than I thought!

• WistfulOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

There is one more comment on this post at the time that I’m writing this, and I cannot currently see it on this instance, even though it’s been posted 19 minutes ago apparently.
    I can see it from beehaw.org and feddit.de instances, and can’t see it from the lemmy.ml.
    That’s quite a delay, I do hope they do something about it, to make it more responsive.

• WistfulOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yep, weird. And I got notification for your comment instantly…It almost seems random.