First off, tons of people adopted the name and have accepted the existing and earned elitism that goes along with the name.

Personal computers ARE a superior platform and the users ARE and SHOULD be elitist about it for very good reasons: they pay like 10x more. Forcing that image of elite to the forefront all but ensures that the idea that if you spend more you should get more. And in a time where microtransactions and other incredibly abusive and predatory industry practices are taking advantage of gamers without serving them actually good content is on an alarmingly fast rising trend that’s set to be the redefinition of gaming VERY SOON, we all need to be fighting for better quality of content, and let the undercutting that brings down price happen later, which is an unfortunate series of truths.

“PC Master Race” is attractive to those who want more and feel good about it, and it’s out there. Whether or not we change the name here on Lemmy, is not going to affect that meme. I’m all for coming up with new names, but, unless there are actual fascist behaviors emerging or being actually attracted to the communities and platforms, I very seriously doubt PCMR is going anywhere, anytime soon.

EDIT:
Also, I want to add that, Linux people are even moreso pcmr than most pcmr and nobody thinks they’re actual Nazis. Largely people recognize them as mostly power users, which, in the gaming space, often pc users ARE.

The difference is that, Linux users, and pc users in general, WANT you to join us because it makes us ALL stronger. Nazism and fascism is… exclusionary, but console wars stuff is about as serious as sports teams being angry at each other. And even then, pcmr is about deliberance and technology and intelligence, even going as far as to self-depricate if elitism gets too pretentious:

Getting too full of yourself? Blindly following others? Spending tons of money and getting nothing for it? You must be: PCMR!!

Because at the end of the day, people just wanna play video games, and you buy what you can buy, and console peasants and PCMR are still eclipsed by mobile games, the true dregs of gaming society. 🙃