• Hillmarsh@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Sorry to practice thread necromancy to respond, but what the internet is really good for at this point is aggregating the previous output of culture. Social media has gotten way past the point of “too much noise” but sites like archive dot org are gems, and there are a bunch of private curated libraries like that as well. So in other words, the internet is good for learning if you are a self-directed person. But that’s about it, and so that’s what I use it for at this point.

It’s also an interesting question to ask what will happen to the web in a declining net energy world, over the next 1-2 decades. Probably a slower, text-only internet could be preserved well into the future. But the question is will it be? The corporate stewardship of the internet has been very poor.

• eleitl@lemmy.mlOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

You can run a part of the Internet or a more decentralized successor to it on an embedded energy and resource footprint. P2P infrastructure does not need DCs. Lemmy is an example.

• maketotaldestr0i@lemm.eeM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Yeah libgen, scihub, wikipedia, wayback machine etc… thats where i get most value. occasional obscure forums. “internet” as a tech is cool, but i think a local area network with info access served by a local datahoarder could provide 90% of the utility