• Krauerking@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

North East USA… Flooding instead of snow and weirdly enough gnats keep spawning. Like whole little swarms of them that hover around as if it were spring or summer.
    I don’t think it’s even quite warm enough for them since it’s only the 50s but yet there they are. It’s so odd yet so obviously wrong.

• Gloomy@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

The right wing is gaining here, as it is in all. Of Europe (and very obviously in the US) and it terrifies me.

Migration has been the skape goat for so much lately and most parties are blaming Imigrants and are moving towards right wing positions (France for example just got a law trough that has been called the “most restrictive Migration law in 40 years”.

I, as a rather progressiv left leaning person, am in fear that my political stance will be a problem in the future. I am very much pro climate action, pro feminism, pro LFBTQI+, pro Refugees, etc.

And I fear that such positions will be problematic in the future to come. We are expecting children (unplanned), and I am in terror thinking about the world they will grow up in.

• maketotaldestr0i@lemm.eeM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

If the left actually took an anti immigration stance the right would start fading . If the left had a “take care of the people already here first goal”

Lots of left wing people are sane enough to recognize labor competition from immigrants and poor cultural assimilation leads to lower standard of living for them and their children. As long as this continues and things get worse you will be feeding the growth of the right wing. people will vote for survival and standard of living even though they loathe most everything else about the right

• eleitl@lemmy.mlOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

There is a new, real “left” party about to be formed in Germany by people around Sahra Wagenknecht. It is going to soak up all the protest voters, some of which go currently to the “right”.

• eleitl@lemmy.mlOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Location: Southern Germany. Lots of fallen trees and broken tree branches and train disruptions for weeks after extreme snowfall (some 45 cm within a day, heaviest since weather records began). I saw zero PV power production for about two weeks until the snow melted.

• pregnantwithrage@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Oregon, PDX: I’ve noticed a lot of businesses and restaurants closing and a ton more overdoses and emergency vehicles downtown.

My job specifically relies on business to business interactions and NOBODY wants to be downtown. It’s to the point Ted Wheeler (mayor) is now pleading for people to go back to the office because the commercial realastate bubble is on the verge of hitting and business owners know it.

We are blindly waking around hoping things go back to the way they were and I see so many delusional takes and wonder where we are going to be next year as a city.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Leishmaniasis is now happening in the USA in my location. The tropical diseases are here but we still get occasional hard frost enough to kill the tropical fruit trees and not enough chill hours to make temperate fruit work. Worst of all worlds.

EDIT forgot to mention im in texas

• krafc@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Your reddit posts were useful to a lot of people and inspiring. Did you save an offline copy of your posts?

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

yeah i downloaded my reddit history. there are still reddit archives run by third parties that save everything indexed to usernames i think , you might be able to search the old stuff like that.

I will try to sort through all my reddit crap at some point and maybe post stuff thats useful as blog or publish a magazine or something. Im trying to exit the internet 95% over the next 2 years and get my anti-doomsday cult going fully in real life.

internet is such a shitshow that i realized its mostly just a negative in every way now. i dont know what its good for at this point.

At this point i would just prefer interacting with people in more direct ways. im writing off everyone not in my future tribe of back to the land revolutionaries plotting the destruction of the status quo and birth of alternatives.

• Hillmarsh@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Sorry to practice thread necromancy to respond, but what the internet is really good for at this point is aggregating the previous output of culture. Social media has gotten way past the point of “too much noise” but sites like archive dot org are gems, and there are a bunch of private curated libraries like that as well. So in other words, the internet is good for learning if you are a self-directed person. But that’s about it, and so that’s what I use it for at this point.

It’s also an interesting question to ask what will happen to the web in a declining net energy world, over the next 1-2 decades. Probably a slower, text-only internet could be preserved well into the future. But the question is will it be? The corporate stewardship of the internet has been very poor.

• eleitl@lemmy.mlOPM
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

You can run a part of the Internet or a more decentralized successor to it on an embedded energy and resource footprint. P2P infrastructure does not need DCs. Lemmy is an example.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Yeah libgen, scihub, wikipedia, wayback machine etc… thats where i get most value. occasional obscure forums. “internet” as a tech is cool, but i think a local area network with info access served by a local datahoarder could provide 90% of the utility

• krafc@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

“blog or publish a magazine or something” - I hope you do.

“anti-doomsday cult” - I really need to get more money so that I can buy land in Western WA with other people.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Im looking mostly in oregon. the plan is set up co-op situation mixture of community and personal land bulk buy for lower price per acre. west coast is mostly overpriced though on a per unit of bioproductivity basis so still considering other spots. underground weed economy crash is bringing lots of cheap per acre properties on market though

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

I’m open to suggestions. A lot of it will just be people i’ve known for long enough to know their quirks and dependability so i can get things started like that.

From what ive seen with communities that have any longevity they seem to converge upon similar process.

1.some type of contact like phone call/email/application figuring out if they seem sane and functional enough to have that basic interaction . this screens out some nuts and gets info for criminal background checks to make sure not convicted sex offenders or habitually violent danger.

1. visitation period usually under 2 weeks stay , part of this is because laws about short term stays mean you can kick them out whereas longer stays can require legal eviction even if there is no contract or rent exchanged legally you establish residence. So interact with them for the 2 weeks and have them automatically required to leave the property. evaluation by everyone in the community come to consensus for longer stay probationary period . This stage weeds out the impulsive perverts, drug addicts, alcoholics and some worse off mentally ill

2. probationary period These can be from 6 months to 2 years. Get consensus for full membership. This weeds out more of the adept cluster B personality disorders and degenerate free riders

Because there is so much convergence on that pattern i will just assume it is the best construct.

as for what the actual selection criteria are ,thats a whole other can of worms.

• eleitl@lemmy.mlOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Location: Germany. Primary energy use decline (-8% to prior year), mostly due to deindustrialization continuing https://ag-energiebilanzen.de/energieverbrauch-ist-2023-kraeftig-gesunken/

Make sure to scroll down to the PJ labeled graph to see that it’s a long term (since after 2006) trend: https://ag-energiebilanzen.de/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/AGEB_Pressedienst_06_2023-Grafik-PEV-Verlauf.png

Oh, and we’ll see some 11 deg C this Christmas night, in Southern Germany. EDIT: now 15 deg C on 25th of December.