Been hearing a lot of rumblings from normal people in the warhammer community they are tired of fascists worshipping the imperium of man in their community.

is it like a human supremacist group in the lore or something like the empire in Star Wars?

• ZZ_SloppyTop [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 years ago

Also something that’s implied but never really mentioned in the Warhammer 40k universe: the warp is evil, and there is no good warp to counteract it. It’s built into the fabric of the world to be evil. The truth of reality is evil. Very lovecraftian hellworld, fighting against the truth and being good requires you to be naive.

The Tau are the only good guys and they basically have no warp connection at all, they only believe in science and their collective good. They censor and ignore a portion of reality, their society and ideology requires it.

It’s what would happen if you took a DnD universe and magic system but then just removed all the good planes and all the good gods, even the neutral ones too. A cursed, doomed world that hopefully is not prophetic.

• TerminalEncounter [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 years ago

The warp wasn’t inherently evil, I thought, it’s just the swirling manifestation of conscious and sentient thought. It wasn’t so bad until the Eldar orgied themselves a deamon god into existence and then the other three came from humans, apparently, doing so much evil they spawned chaos gods too. It’s been bad for so long that it’s become self-reinforcing, but the God-Emperor had some kind of plan to reset it or something I dunno.

All the Chaos Gods have an inverse “good” aspect to their portfolios too, Tzeentch isn’t just betrayal and evil plans but also Hope, Nurgle isn’t just pestilence and death but also Love, Slaneesh isn’t just lust and hedonism but Beauty and I think Khorne was supposed to have Courage or something. The more “good” parts could be cultivated but the galaxy has been broken for so long that it’s hard to say if anything good could ever come of the warp and if they’re not better off just having the Tyranids eat everything and wipe the slate clean.