I would like to build a music player / device for an older person, not tech savvy user.

I have the MP3s on my linux desktop/laptop, but not all the metadata and cover art.

I’ve worked with RPi before, jailbreaking iPhones and roku. So I have some limited experience with small devices.

I’m wondering if I could obtain some kind of old/used android phone, remove all the apps so the home screen is completely empty, transfer via USB or ssh/scp the MP3 files (and metadata + cover art), then have some kind of music player app which would be the only app on the phone/device.

Then shutdown any wifi or internet connectivity, but still allow bluetooth to pair with an external speaker.

• ninjan@lemmy.mildgrim.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I think you’re over thinking this a lot. Why not buy a cheap MP3 player with Bluetooth? It’s bound to be infinitely more usable and stable for an older person. Physical buttons is king for the elderly.

• LucasWaffyWaf@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Honestly you can get an old iPod, slap a new battery inside, and flash mod it to replace it’s hard drive with an SD card, and you have exactly what you’re looking for in a small, robust, easy to use device.

• guitarsarereal@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

They never actually stopped making offline MP3 players, they just went out of style.

Not that you should buy off Amazon, just to give you an idea – https://www.amazon.com/touchscreen-mp3-player/s?k=touchscreen+mp3+player

Tons of name-brand options from days of yore, too, that weren’t just iPods. RockBox supports a pretty good selection if you need some model numbers to look up: https://www.rockbox.org/

I recall people liked their Archos players a lot, I had a few Sansas and Creatives over the years, they were pretty alright.

• mysoulishome@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Old iPods are coming into fashion because even younger folks are wanting something like this.

I would consider buying a refurbished iPod classic on eBay. Simple and elegant. User friendly. Do you really need the Bluetooth part?

• TCB13@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I would consider buying a refurbished iPod classic on eBay. Simple and elegant. User friendly. Do you really need the Bluetooth part?

The only issue with those is the price + modding the disk to SD card + restrictions on the number of songs the OS can handle and whatnot. They’re cool and great indeed but not as perfect as one would think.

• mysoulishome@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Are you wanting to put songs in wav or flaac Format or something? I feel like a decently size used iPod wouldn’t be a whole lot more than $100 and 100 GB could hold 10,000 songs in high-quality 320 kB/s or so.

It sounds like you’re trying to build an iPod classic with Bluetooth

I DJ weddings for about 10 years and literally had my entire entire DJ library backed up on one

• TCB13@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Yes FLAC and 10,000 isn’t that much. I also have an iPod Classic 6th gen and I love it, but the mechanical hard drive had to go, it eventually slowed down and made noise sometimes. The SD card mod made it way better, lighter, battery lasts longer, transferring songs also seems faster. If it weren’t for the 10k sound limitation I would be more than happy with it, no need for Bluetooth.

• jaybone@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Like I want to preload all the songs, and I don’t want her to be confused with any other apps or any other app store.

Just see the cover art and find the songs.

Almost like an iPod from 20 years ago. Or the geriatric flip phone equivalent.

• CoffeePorter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Cheap android phone + some kind of minimalist launcher (ask r/androidapps) + musicolet + Syncthing (if you want to get fancy and download them more music later, you have to keep the music on your computer though)

• pyrflie@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

If you don’t need a touchscreen, AGPtek, Fiio, and Sony make music players with bluetooth for $40-80 that are great for everything except Audiobooks.

A refurbished Ipod Touch goes for about $100-200 dollars depending on gen. Generally speaking you will want 7th gen ($200+) or later for Bluetooth. The quality of the refurbishment does tend to vary wildly on these though.

Sony’s Walkman NW-A306 will do pretty much everything you want for about $300 and has a touchscreen. This is what I use for my daily Audiobook player.

• Strayce@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Probably a bit hard to justify the price for this purpose, but there are a few really high end dedicated music players out there that run Android. I know Sony make one, and I believe some of the Fiio players run Android too.

• Malta Soron@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I use a Fiio M6 to run Spotify, by downloading playlists through my home wifi before going out. It’s not the cheapest option, but I’ve had it since before the pandemic and it still works like a charm.

The device comes with an app to play MP3s, so that should work easily as well.

• pan_troglodytes@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

bunch of not that high end dedicated music players when I looked on amazon just now - around the $40 - $70 price range

• makunamatata
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

One possible solution is to use any old phone to run Plexamp app. Used to require paying for Plex Pass, but it is now free. Check it at https://www.plex.tv/plexamp/

How it works: You would need to run a Plex server on your machine. Plex allows you to also get missing metadata and cover art, some of it automatically, and to have the Plexamp app to pull all the music you want from your machine and can fit in that phone.

Then turn off WiFi and all music will be on that device with cover art and metadata. I think, not sure, the only thing that it may not have while off of the internet is lyrics, but I might be wrong.

Leave Bluetooth on and you have the device with all your requirements: music with art cover on intuitive interface, off the internet and Bluetooth capability.

Others reading this can vouch for or make additional suggestions.

Let us know if you try it.

• Nyarlathotep@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Plexamp is pretty great but it won’t feel very slick without a connection to the server. You can download tons of stuff, but that means digging into the downloads section, and ignoring most of the stuff on the front page where it offers artist mixes, etc. For a person who needs a simple interface, it would be a minefield of buttons that lead nowhere.

I am all about raising the Jolly Roger, but honestly think that if it is affordable, the best option would be just subscribing to a music service. The user will have access to everything, can probably use voice commands on the device, and can enjoy whatever auto-playlist features are on offer. “Hey google, play oldies music.”

Depending on how well the user is able to operate a device, a set of internet radio stations like SomaFM might be better.

• GraniteM@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I’m wondering if I could obtain some kind of old/used android phone, remove all the apps so the home screen is completely empty, transfer via USB or ssh/scp the MP3 files (and metadata + cover art), then have some kind of music player app which would be the only app on the phone/device.

This is exactly what I did. I used an older Moto and uninstalled or disabled everything I didn’t want and only used BlackPlayer EX. It also has halfway decent external speakers so I can just play music directly off the device if I want to. The only thing that doesn’t thrill me is that it’s a full sized phone, which can be a bit awkwardly large at times. It’s been working great, but when the time comes for another device, I might go with one of the little Unihertz models.