• linearchaos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Oh I have my own content. I’ve also been doing this since we were recording off air broadcast TV breaking out commercials from a live stream is nothing but an inconvenience.

• ares35@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

i just uncovered a box with over 100 vhs tapes from the days before i switched to pc-based recording. that’ll be a future project after i get done with de-duplicating and consolidating the files i already have.

• linearchaos@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Coming back from VHS is a bit painful, I’ve done quite a lot of it at this point. (I think I’m up to a few hundred tapes)

I used to use TiVo to record broadcast and cable, export as MPEG, strip the commercials and then turn that into DivX. There are options out there to automatically strip commercials they’re ‘mostly’ good and work way better with digital sources.

The problem with VHS is another layer of substantial loss. If someone recorded it as SLP (and that’s pretty much what we all did back in the day) you’re going to spend a very long time with AI video denoising to get something even remotely watchable. Analog CRT hid so many video sins.

Topaz Labs video AI does a reasonably good job under certain circumstances. When you go to rip your content don’t just rip it all and then worry about it later. Rip a couple of things and then mess with them until you’re happy enough with the results to continue.

Generally speaking the stuff you start with needs to be kind of watchable If you expect it to turn out into something truly watchable. AI is good at cleaning up artifacts in a little snowy grain and straightening out fuzzy edges. But if your source material is coming out as utter disappointment it’s not going to fix it.