• TWeaK@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I dunno exactly, I just know many people have “hacked firesticks” that basically run Kodi, then they pay some dodgy dude on WhatsApp like 30 euro a year and get e v e r y t h i n g as a streaming service. Sometimes the service gets shut down, but apparently they’re pretty decent at referring you to their new operation with credit - and even if not, you’ve paid far less than a full legit TV package.

I’m honestly a little jealous, as they even get live sports streams. Meanwhile, if I try and get them I have to go to very dodgy websites, and often the stream cuts off at key times. However, I just can’t bring myself to pay for piracy.

• Dick Justice@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I met a guy in the city that supported himself selling cracked firesticks, I shit you not. 40 bucks a pop and it’d be plug and play all the way supposedly, and that’s all he did, sell those via word of mouth.

As an old, I have to chuckle at the whole thing as it reminds me of the '80s when (if you knew who to talk to) you could pay a guy to open up your 13 channel, wood paneled cable box, move a few things around, and give you free Home Box Office. It was the tits, let me tell you.

Fuck, I’m getting old.

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

For me, it was the guy in the pub selling bootleg cigarettes and tobacco. Then, for a time, they would sell CDs and DVDs. Although now that I think about it they did VHS back in the day also.

These days I’m pretty sure all hacked firesticks have moved to a subscription model. There’s a game of whack-a-mole being played with rights holders and streamers, particularly with sports, so there is some back end work being done keeping it seemless for the user.