US Secretary of State Antony Blinken notified Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during meetings yesterday that the Biden administration is preparing to announce a series of visa bans against Israeli settlers involved in attacks on Palestinians in the West Bank, an Israeli official tells The Times of Israel. A US official confirmed the plan to AFP.

The announcement will likely only include the number of settlers being banned from the US, rather than their names, the Israeli official says, explaining that the US hopes that the anonymity will serve as a deterrent against those considering targeting Palestinians who won’t know whether they’ve been black-listed or not.

The visa ban could be imposed as early as next week, the Israeli official says.

• DarkGamer@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

That’s great! Escalation shouldn’t occur by non-state actors and hopefully this will act as a deterrent for civilian violence even if Bibi’s administration is unwilling to punish them.

• SulaymanF@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Biden could have done this years ago but only waited until now. A policy that won’t have any real teeth. I’m not satisfied.

• Andy@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

To add to this, it’s farcical because these people are in Netanyahu’s cabinet.

The chief of Israel’s national police was already on US and Israeli watchlists. He was convicted of terrorism in Israel in 2006. And now he’s in charge of the police, and is arming settlers and encouraging them to violently take the land by force. I’m sure telling him that he can’t visit the Grand Canyon is going to fix this.

They’re probably anonymous because it’d be awkward for Blinken if the culprits have pictures of themselves shaking his hand last weekend.

For those looking for details, Google Itmar Bin Givir and Bezalel Smotrich.

• ShittyBeatlesFCPres@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

I’d kind of be satisfied with a Palestinian state based on 1967 borders with the settlers just the Jewish minority in the new Palestine. They wanted to fuck around. Let them find out.

Obviously, I don’t really think that’s a good idea. The settlements should be dismantled in an orderly fashion and I’m sure plenty of settlers are sweet gay kids who hate their parents and can’t wait to move to Tel Aviv. But it would be pretty satisfying to see those hyper-nationalist parents hoist with their own petard.

• Evilcoleslaw@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Well, this is pretty much nothing, so that checks out.

It’s about as milquetoast response to actual terrorism and ethnic cleansing as you can get. Years late, no real effect or punishment, won’t apply to a relatively large number who are Israeli-US dual-citizens and thus don’t need visas, etc.

Edit: Oh and Israel has a visa waiver agreement with the US right now so unless that’s suspended it’s absolutely useless because nobody even has to apply for a visa from Israel.

• Quokka@quokk.au
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

“I settle for nothing, I hate change and love the world as it is”

• generalpotato@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Feels like a slap on the wrist for, you know, stealing actual fucking land violently.

It’s something, but there’s so much much much more that can be done.

• Im14abeer@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

US hopes that the anonymity will serve as cover for not having actually banned anyone because they have no idea who to ban.

• Stamau123@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

That’s not how visa bans work ‘As a result, the Secretary of State may order U.S. consular officers at U.S. embassies and consulates in these countries to implement visa restrictions on certain categories of visa applicants. These sanctions may remain in place until the Secretary of Homeland Security notifies the Secretary of State that removal cooperation has improved to an acceptable level.’

The names of those sanctions have most likely already been uploaded to the US embassies and consulates in Israel, waiting to be denied if they go and try to get one.

• Urist@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I’m ignorant on this topic.

What sort of lives do these “settlers” live? Do they have the resources to travel internationally? How many settlers are actually applying for visas?

This is a good policy. But how many people does it really affect? This isn’t going to stop people from causing violence in Palestinian areas, it’s just going to keep a handful of violent Israelis out of the USA. Keeping violent people out is great and all, but this has to be symbolic at best, right?

Edit: it sounds like from the article this will only affect about a hundred people involved in specific recent events, not set up some sort of system of banning settlers for their actions.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I hope it’s the bed rock to expand further

“After X date all settlers located below X latitude will be sanctioned” with the criteria expanding every month. But j know that’s wishful thinking

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

@altofaltception this is partly what I had envisioned, more eyes on recent settler violence due to the war leading to pressure to hopefully have them dealt with permanently.