• Illuminostro@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

You know, I realize all the people who put in money want a return on their investment. I get it.

But what I can’t forgive is killing 3rd party clients when your official client sucks all the donkey balls in every reality in every universe.

You couldn’t come to a reasonable and sane fee for 3rd party clients? Barring that, you couldn’t just buy a superior client like RiF and bolt your name on it?

Fuck Spez.

• hansl@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

They did buy a superior client. Alien Blue it was called. Then internal politics killed it. Even today Alien Blue would still be a better experience, without any updates in the last five years.

• cheesepotatoes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

This is what always got to me that I don’t think people focus on enough. It’s such an anti-consumer pattern. Instead of improving the official reddit app, or buying out a third party one, they simply shot the competition in the knees.

If you want everyone on the official app, be competitive and invest into making it not suck donkey balls. Obviously that’s far too much work.

• Socsa@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

There are a hundred different ways they could have reached a compromise on third party app support if it was just about API limits. They killed it because they want to gather mobile app telemetry like everyone else does these days.

• Littleborat@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Telemetry is telling them their app sucks and that people try it x period of time and then uninstall it.

It is so terrible that I log into reddit once a week on my pc.

• phoenixz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

All that costs time, money and resources whereas flatput lying and fucking people over is cheap. You calculate how much you’ll lose, see that it’s enormously bad qualitatively but you won’t lose too many visitors because most people don’t give a fuck so you go with it.

• Nils@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

That’s the thing. I get that people using the service on a third party client and not seeing ads is hurting their bottom line as they use bandwidth and not make money. But just banning them outright is a shit move. Ideally they would’ve made it part of Reddit Premium to make that a bit more worthwhile.

• Ann Archy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

You know, I realize that some people run a dictatorship and only want absolute obedience, I totally get that, that’s totally a gettable thing for me, that’s not weird at all.