• Laser@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

In addition to what was already said - use Firefox instead of anything chromium-based - I think it’s equally important to stop using the services offered by big tech companies and not just try to keep using them on our terms. Google wants me to watch a ton of ads on YouTube? Fine, I’ll stop watching it. In fairness, on my smart TV, YouTube ads have been what I consider adequate, while Twitch can be a disaster. The alternatives already exist with Peertube and Owncast. Are they perfect yet? Far from it probably but there won’t be big improvements if nobody uses it.

• Arghblarg@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I’m waiting to see Youtube block me using Vivaldi w/uBlock Origin on Linux so far. It hasn’t happened, am I accidentally doing something awesome to evade their traps so far?

Vivaldi’s Chrome-based, so I would presume the same tricks to detect uBlock Origin on Chrome itself would work, or is Vivaldi doing something sneaky?

I have no problem jumping to Firefox the moment they do it – I just haven’t had an issue yet. I should add I’m in Canada, perhaps that is a factor.

• Pamasich@kbin.social
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

It hasn’t happened, am I accidentally doing something awesome to evade their traps so far?

Probably A/B testing.

I’m using Adblock Plus on Edge and have the same experience like you. No reaction from Youtube yet to my adblocker.

• Engywuck@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

In-built adblockers aren’t going to be affected by MV3 anyway. They are not extensions, thus Google is powerless there.

• Markaos@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

That’s cool, but YouTube detects Vivaldi’s built in adblocker, so it’s kinda irrelevant if it’s affected by extension policies.

To use YT in Vivaldi, you have to properly configure uBlock Origin (avoid extra filters that interfere with YT) and disable the builtin adblock for YT. And given that Vivaldi relies on Chrome Extension Store for its extensions, there will still be some friction to getting Mv2 extensions after Google pulls the plug on them.

• Engywuck@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

OP has literally said that YT didn’t block them/didnt show any ads while using Vivaldi… As far I’m concerned, I couldn’t care less. I don’t use YT at all.

• Markaos@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Yeah, OP literally said that they weren’t blocked when using Vivaldi with uBlock Origin, you were the first one to mention the builtin adblock (which is detected by YouTube).

Again: to use YT, you have to disable the builtin adblock and use only uBO. That’s in line with OPs statement.

• Arghblarg@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

Oh I hadn’t thought of how I’d installed Vivaldi. I always just choose the basic install – no Vivaldi mail, ad-block, etc. Just their core browser. Then I install uBlock Origin on top of that. And, so far, I’ve never hit the new Youtube adblock-block.

• Mischala@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Firefox with uBlock Origin on Windows. Nothing so far.

I guess they only want to fuck their own customers so far?

• Audacity9961@feddit.chOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Why do you expect that Edge wouldn’t adopt Google-like MV3 along with Chrome?

Microsoft adopted Chromium in order to minimise development costs in a product it doesn’t see as core, something which would be incurred if it had to maintain its own fork of mv3, and is incentivized through Bing to pursue a similar approach.

• Tracteur Blindé@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

When in a discussion about an article, it’s usually a good idea to read the article since it may make or address the points that you want to discuss. The headline (in this case) is just the conclusion and you’re missing all the supporting evidence that leads there. Taking just headlines and assuming the context leads to being misinformed and spreading misinformation.

my adblocker is in Edge’s extension store. If Google is throttling updates to my adblocker

For instance, you are assuming that this is related to Google maliciously throttling extension updates which is not true.

YouTube is pushing new ad-block circumvention approximately daily.

Microsoft’s documentation states that extension updates can take up to 7 days to pass certification and go live.

That is not materially different than Google’s behaviour in this context.

• bedrooms@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I don’t know so much about this, but it’s funny to see all this while Apple lets me set an ad blocker in iOS settings.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

🤖 I’m a bot that provides automatic summaries for articles:

Click here to see the summary

YouTube can instantly switch up its ad delivery system, but once Manifest V3 becomes mandatory, that won’t be true for extension developers.

If ad blocking is a cat-and-mouse game of updates and counter-updates, then Google will force the mouse to slow down.

The current platform, Manifest V2, has been around for over ten years and works just fine, but it’s also quite powerful and allows extensions to have full filtering control over the traffic your web browser sees.

Engadget’s Anthony Ha interviewed some developers in the filtering extension community, and they described a constant cat-and-mouse game with YouTube.

Firefox’s Manifest V3 implementation doesn’t come with the filtering limitations, and parent company Mozilla promises that users can “rest assured that in spite of these changes to Chrome’s new extensions architecture, Firefox’s implementation of Manifest V3 ensures users can access the most effective privacy tools available like uBlock Origin and other content-blocking and privacy-preserving extensions.”

Google claims that Manifest V3 will improve browser “privacy, security, and performance,” but every comment we can find from groups that aren’t giant ad companies disputes this description.

Saved 80% of original text.