• merc@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Why would you choose to subscribe to linkedin notifications? Why, in particular, would you choose to receive linkedin notifications on your watch?

Notifications is a privilege you should only grant to key applications, and watch notifications should be the most important of all notifications.

“Here’s a guy” via linkedin is not on the list of approved high-value notifications.

• cRazi_man@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I agree. But I also haven’t meet anyone IRL who curates their notifications. In fact most people don’t seem to give a shit what apps they install and their notification bar usually has 3000 alerts pending.

• whoisearth@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

People are weird AF. I restrict almost all notifications and what’s annoying sometimes these assholes (looking at you Google Play) re-enable them.

• Just_Not_Funny@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

I’m the person OP is talking about and my wife is the person you’re talking about.

It is physically and emotionally painful for me to have to look at or use her phone.

• poppy@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Does she also just leave the apps in their original download place on her home screens? I always wonder about the lives of people who have like 5+ screen of unsorted apps.

• Lodespawn@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

My wife has six home screens each with a random selection of apps and widgets. I feel like there would be more order if they were just in the position they landed when she installed them. She never clears notifications or closes browser tabs. I feel anxious whenever I use her phone to do anything.

• eupraxia@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

I am this person too. I open every app I use by opening the full list and scrolling. If it’s one I use regularly I remember where it is via muscle memory… until I (un)install another app and it’s shifted over by 1. My notifications are full of weeks-old Discord notifications I never gave a shit about in the first place, SMS messages about prescriptions I’ve already picked up, and beneath the “important” section there’s a horrific underbelly of junk emails, random ads from other apps, system notifications, news, duplicated emails across Gmail and Outlook, etc etc etc…

I’m fairly techy and know these are easily solvable things, but I’m pretty unorganized irl with a healthy dose of ADHD too so these habits take some effort and time to build. I’ve poked at disabling notification categories per app and organizing my app shelf but I don’t stick with it much. Sometimes it’s unclear what notifications are in which categories, and apps update and add notifications all the time that I then have to go in and disable again. I can organize my apps on my screen, but muscle memory works “good enough” to the point that I forget to use the organized screen and just dive into All Apps again.

• poppy@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

I’m mildly neurotic (if such a thing exists) about my app layout. I was so happy when Apple gave us the option to just not have apps install to home screens, and instead just stick in the list. I have a select few apps I use regularly that are in folders on my one single Home Screen, and the rest I get to by using spotlight.

I don’t necessarily judge those of you who go with the “they stay where they installed” approach, I just have a hard time grasping it from my side. Haha

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

If my phone buzzes at any point and I don’t want to see what it shows me, that app loses all notification permissions immediately.

• cRazi_man@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

This is the way.

Also, there are many apps that can have their notification silenced so it doesn’t ring or show on the lockscreen. I do this even for emails. The phone is checked easily more than 50 times a day, many notifications can sit silently and wait till I next pickup my phone for something else. Ringing should be reserved for things that need immediate attention worth the interruption.

• TheFriar@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

After the recent news about using push notifications to track your activity, I disabled all notifications.

All of them.

I’ll look at my phone when I look at it. If you need something desperately, you’d probably call…

Not that I’d pick up. But I’d know to check everything else before I decide to text you.

I’m slowly cutting my phone out of my life. I’ve been hurt too many times and I’m defederating from modern society.

• kralk@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Have you ever tried unsubscribing from LinkedIn notifications? The are like 300 and you have to do them all individually

• HiddenLayer5@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Posts like this make me realize it’s probably a blessing that I can’t afford a smart watch considering how terminally online I already am.

• XIN@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

It’s had the opposite effect for me, in the past when I’d catch myself doom scrolling I had only pulled the phone out to make sure I hadn’t missed a message and then just didn’t put it back down.

Now I’ll just glance at the watch and see if it’s important or not.

• ohlaph@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

LinkedIn is garbage. I was trying to do some things on mobile. Nope. Gotta download the app. Switch to desktop mode, okay now you can do the thing.

I loathe companies that force their app by making an almost unusable mobile experience. If I didn’t use LinkedIn to keep up with networks professionally, I wouldn’t be using it.

• deweydecibel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

It’s far easier to control your experience, harvest your date, and feed you ads on an app.

Also keep in mind that on Android, apps will opt to use Webview, which Google has said they’re injecting their web environment integrity bullshit into.

• ohlaph@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I’m an android developer, so I fully understand what you’re saying which is why I absolutely refuse to use any app that I don’t absolutely need. If it’s simple enough, I’ll just make my own app, haha.

• cannache@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

To be fair the issue is having a mobile view standard and a widescreen laptop / tablet view standard.

• Evotech@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

LinkedIn is the worst social media. I get far more annoyed reading that than any other social media.

But it’s a nice place to keep an updated CV

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Usually with some corpospam message about never charging the company for overtime, because “that’s what it takes to be the boss one day”.

You know, rather than having the good fortune to fall out of the boss’s wife’s cunny, where his real boss will inevitably come from.

• clearleaf@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

For years I didn’t know LinkedIn was considered a real website. I thought it was just a spam factory and all the profiles on the site were either fake or generated from barely ever correct scraped info. Like those celebrity info sites that appear on Google but for business people. But no, somehow behind it all there’s an actual company that the government knows about.

• kool_newt@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I wouldn’t mind being sent such a notification of the El Duderino abiding.