• Ends@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

200+ Shareware games on a CD, played the shit outta those. And they came in magazines or were given out completely free.

I believe demos for games should still be the norm.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think demos are coming back. I have a bunch on steam recently, and Nintendo has a ton of them on thier storefront.

• J.M.@lemmy.ca
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

And they arrived (because I don’t want to use ‘came’ given this thread already) on cereal boxes.

• Ends@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I had never heard of that around here (Germany). Got my first PC '99, so I should have noticed; was looking everywhere for cheap Software deals. But there were some other companies which gave out free CD-ROMs as advertising with shareware and demo games. Some of those games were never finished, lol.

The Internet Archive has those Nestlé CDs btw :)

• J.M.@lemmy.ca
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Happened in Canada for sure. The post made me go dig through boxes in the basement and try to remember where my old cdrom drive and cable that would connect to a new Mac would be found. Good times and worth it.

• Ends@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Got no “vintage” hardware sadly. In a VM it’s not the same. I still have a Floppy drive, but those disks were all corrupted eons ago. I wonder how long my heaps of gamer magazine and bundle-box (bought at Aldi for practically nothing _) CDs are still gonna last…

They were the best of times, that’s for sure!

• Odo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Oh man, Doom. Getting 1/3 of the whole game was incredible. Also Deus Ex years later. Some people hated the Ellis Island level, but I spent so much time exploring everywhere.

• Ends@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I fucked around so long that I failed the mission. It gave a prompt that I had 17 minutes left to do the last thing, and ran out by 20 seconds or sth.

Gotta give that game a whirl again soon, with proper textures & mods & fool around with ReShade for hours until my back hurts and I gotta lay down after an hour of actual gameplay, muhaha.