• Misconduct@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

It’s giving people that have an abacus on their desk and scoff at people for using a calculator vibes lol

• dustyData@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Nah, it’s more like people with a calculator are being yelled at by people who are throwing dice because they claim that once in a while the dice come up with the correct answer so we should throw away the calculator and stop studying math altogether. It’s unhinged superstitious behavior. AI is a toy right now, and it still has a long way to go before it can be hammered into a useful tool.

• Warl0k3@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

Pretty much nailed it. My students that use chatGPT have done pretty well in the first few weeks, but fall apart as soon as I start asking questions that rely on a nuanced understanding of the concepts or to extrapolate ideas from the previous work.

ChatGPT is a very promising tool, but so many people don’t understand LLMs at all and dumbass students try and get it to do all their thinking for them…

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 months ago

Unhinged superstitious behavior?? That’s so dramatic. It’s nothing like comparing math to dice… what? Some of you guys just kinda make things up as you go along and dial it up to a million

• dustyData@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

Tell me you haven’t got a single clue of how an LLM works beyond OpenAI marketing without telling me.

• force@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Why would you use ChatGPT for school lol. What can’t you Google that you can find on an AI chatbot?

• Venat0r@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Probably to reword the article he found so he can plagiarise it without getting caught.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Why would you school. Why would you use books at school. Why would you use an abacus at school. Why would you use a calculator at school. Why would you use a computer at school. Why would you use Google at school. Why would you use chatgpt at school. I wonder what’s next! 🙃

• Warl0k3@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

This kind of argument is what you get when you try to use chatGPT to do all your schoolwork (or thinking…) for you