link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Tldr: No need to switch yet.

I admire the endurance of the wayland devs though.

Edit: added tldr

• ck_
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Xorg server is de-facto abandon ware. Most of the major (commercial) Linux distribution will switch sooner rather than later and they are taking their paid developers with them to work on Wayland. Xorg cannot muster enough interest to be able to push out regular releases, I think its pretty safe to assume noone will invest energy into support for new hardware at this stage either. The best you can hope fore is that security issues get patched somewhat timely.

So yeah, there’s “no need to switch” because for most users, their distribution will make the choice for them within the next release or two.

• sebsch
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

If you’re using KDE, the improvement will be amazing.

Would never switch back

• sebsch
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

The compositor works way more precisely. The tearing is gone, font rendering and high resoltution images are way better displayed. Multi monitor setups are better, including different scales for different monitors.

I think there are more, but these are the improvements on wayland I recognised during the last half a year.

• meisme@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It is so much smoother in literally everything, even on insanely powerful hardware.

• Xtralife
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s standard on Fedora already. But I remember first hearing about Wayland many years ago. So, definitely Kudos to the Devs 🙂

• jfx
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Unfortunately in production use Wayland feels like X.org from around 2000 (before the renaming). I was told not to worry about ‘corner cases’ but when small bugs pop up daily I just can’t drive Wayland on my main office machine, although I’d really like to.

• schmensch
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’ve been using Wayland almost exclusively for around 2 years now and have had a way more stable and enjoyable experience than with X. Especially mixed refresh rate, VRR and scaling work way better, and the added security gives me peace of mind that sketchy / insecure apps aren’t spying on me.

• dino
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Give examples? Apart from RDP not being functional I don’t see any reason for a simple office box.

• jfx
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

My trouble is the Wayland Desktop session in Ubuntu LTS or openSuSE-Leap silently failing ever so often on different machines after a Wayland update. On production machines that’s not something I can tolerate nor have the time to investigate, with my employees waiting.

• dino
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

LTS is just bad when you need up to date systems.

• aktenkundig
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That was not a statement of my own, I just rephrased the conclusion of the article.