I guess it’s self explanatory but I keep seeing all this stuff about how everyone is moving from Reddit to lemmy and I’m wondering if anyone knows if that’s really what’s happening. If you have numbers that’s even better.

Thanks!

• hmancuso@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not a mass exodus. Call it a brain drain, if you will. The churn includes those who posted or were moderators. Since those who stayed are directly or indirectly supporting practices that most of us find unacceptable, Reddit will probably forever have that sour taste. It will gradually turn into a pale reminder of what it once was, and it will lose its spark. The sheer volume, quality, and length of posts in the Fediverse is indicative of new user profiles. I am so glad I took the plunge!

• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not a mass exodus. Call it a brain drain, if you will. The churn includes those who posted or were moderators.

That’s key, it’s quality over quantity. Those who put a lot into Reddit were also going to be those disproportionately hit by the API changes. Enough of them make the jump and it degrades the quality of Reddit and his a big effect on Lemmy and the alternatives. By the next time Reddit messes up, and they will, the next batch of escapees will find a much more fleshed out set of alternatives, which will make leaving there and staying here easier. Rinse, wash and repeat.

We’ll never get the absolute numbers Reddit has but that’s the kind of aim of a corporate entity that wants to grab as many eyeballs as possible so they can mine the data and serve ads. That’s not what the Fediverse is about. All it really needs is the critical mass of people to make it viable and I think we’re already there.

• RidcullyTheBrown@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

By the next time Reddit messes up, and they will, the next batch of escapees will find a much more fleshed out set of alternatives, which will make leaving there and staying here easier. Rinse, wash and repeat.

I don’t think that even matters from a business point of view. Even if people aren’t leaving, the problem is that Reddit is not a place new people see as valuable after all the bad press. If they don’t grow, they fail.

• bradorsomething@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Much better choice of words - and as the intelligent conversation and content creation shifts services, eventually there will be a tipping point.

• delendum@lemdit.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s not a mass exodus. There was a sizeable influx of people from Reddit to Lemmy/kbin, sure, but that’s measured in the (low) hundreds of thousands. Reddit has hundreds of millions of active users.

The reality is it’s not even close to a mass exodus, not yet.

• kyub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, but a sizeable increase is still very important. These days, Mastodon, Lemmy and so on have decently sized communities everywhere so that you don’t feel like just talking to yourself and a couple of friends anymore. And that’s kind of a tipping point.

“Mass migrations” happen slowly, anyway. A lot of people are very hesitant to leave big social hubs just because of the value there is in having so many people around. But in the end, you have to. We can’t stay on these proprietary social networks forever. Social networks and communication channels in general need to be non-proprietary, decentralized and open, without the ability of companies manipulating what you see and don’t see. And without risk of losing everything when the one big company falls. It’s a fundamental problem of all proprietary social networks.

• SamsonSeinfelder@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

While true, I would like to point out who is leaving: The vocal community.

When you see a reddit post and it has 1000 Upvotes and 50 comments, than this means that a couple thousand people saw it, over 1000 votes on it (up and down) and 50 made a comment, and some even commented on a comment. Most people are lurker and are just passive and enjoy the contribution by OP posting it, people curating it by voting for it and giving the topic traction by commenting on it (maybe even provoking another thread of the same topic or adding another thought in another post in the next hours/days or turning it into a meme).

The people, who are leaving - as far I as I see it - are the vocal active people. Not the lurker. So it might not be a mass exodus, but those who are active and vocal about their unhappiness and who are actively searching for alternatives and are now here on Lemmy, are the heart of the buzzing culture of reddit. Those are the ones who bring in new posts, vote actively and comment massively. Not the lurker. So who is left behind on reddit is mostly lurker who are now missing a good part of the active community who commented and voted for them. And I think this is visible on reddit and can accelerate reddits decline.

Its not the mass of the people that is important, but the engaging force that is driving the discourse in a community by being active and vocal.

And I think Lemmy got a good heap of those people.

• ohlaph@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Well said. Even dome Reddit lurkers said they would comment here to help grow the communities more.

• Sean@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The Great Digg Migration was way bigger and Digg was never the same after that. If Lemmy gets a couple more big waves from Reddit, it could mean the end for Reddit as it currently is.

• frozetoze@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I still pop into reddit (with UBO) and r/all has certainly seen a massive shift since the onset of the protest

• UnfortunateShort@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I doubt Reddit has hundreds of millions. For ‘big social media’, Reddit was pretty niche until recently. I’d be surprised if they had more than a hundred million.

But that aside, the users that are leaving Reddit are their most important ones. Mods and the people who spent the most time on Reddit. This definitely has the the potential to cause substantial harm to the platform.

• Xeelee@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

White the absolute numbers aren’t so huge, it’s more about the kind of people who are leaving Reddit. Many if those are former mods or people who create a lot if content. I do think this will lead to an appreciable lots in overall quality of Reddit. Not that the quality they’re had been anything to write home about. But the downward trajectory continues.

• WookieMunster@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not even close is right. As of May, Reddit had 2.02B Monthly views. I don’t think lemmy or mastodon come close to crack the top 10 yet

• habanhero@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It’s hard to get an exact number but you can extrapolate based on the growth of Lemmy in the last few weeks. While not record-breaking, it is quite an impressive growth.

Also note that not everyone who left Reddit came to Lemmy. There is also Kbin, Tildes and alternative. Some never really left at all.

I think the real damage done to Reddit (ultimately by themselves) is showing the world that there are real alternatives (even if a bit rough around the edges). They are materializing and growing as threats and if Reddit doesn’t step up their game, they could be in some real trouble.

The other possibility is that some other company might step up and build a Reddit clone, much like what Meta’s Threads is to Twitter, once they see that there is blood in the water and a potential to displace Reddit as the “frontpage of the Internet”. Heck, even Threads is built on the Fediverse, maybe a bigcorp-backed Reddit clone might be as well.

• redcalcium@c.calciumlabs.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Reddit will mess up again, and when they do, those fresh batch of refugees will find plenty of alternatives to choose from thanks to the current batch of refugees accelerating developments of various Reddit alternatives.

• habanhero@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yep, 100% agree. Reddit’s biggest mistake this time is mishandling PR so bad that they basically gave Lemmy, kBin etc a seat at the table for free. And with the poor management at the helm, it’s going to be a pattern of bad behaviors and Reddit is bound to mess up again.

• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yes, it’s a positive feedback loop - people leave, start building alternatives, next round of leavers find the alternatives and start adding to it, next round find the alternatives are actually quite attractive, etc, etc.

In the end it’ll just be karma grinders and those who value convenience over pretty much anything else.

• habanhero@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

For you and for me maybe. For many others, they are still happily scrolling away on the official app.

• Lvxferre@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

From Reddit’s PoV I don’t think that there is a mass emigration; it’s just that the most engaged sectors of the community left, so the 99% left don’t give a damn about it. Over time I predict that it’ll be a slow drain, not a mass exodus.

However from Lemmy/Kbin’s PoV there is a mass immigration. And the users are disproportionally active; for example a comm with 3k subscribers getting 1k upvotes in a post, stuff like this.

• Raltoid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s a strategy straight out of MBA textbooks: Once you’re above a certain size and have a large “common consumer” base, you kick out everyone who would complain about shitty practices and exploitative behaviour. Then you squeeze out all the money you can over a year or three before the rest realize and leave.

It’s fast ROI at the cost of customer retention and long term profits. And investors literally don’t care if the company goes bankrupt as long as they get that money. Because they’ll just move on to the next company and do the same thing all over.

• PlutoniumAcid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I am seeing precisely this in my workplace. A global company, bought by an investment fund for billions.

The fund cuts away anything that does not directly generate revenue, like product development, maintenance, support. So many people have been let go, the few remaining are unable to keep the ship afloat.

Fund doesn’t care because the numbers are amazing (income vs expenses) and they just want to sell before it sinks.

No care for the livelihood of thousands of employees, or the many very large customers. They will practically die, and that’s okay to the ones in charge.

• Raltoid@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

It’s called “locust capitalism” in some languages.

Since they literally just consume everything and move on to new things with zero regard for anything they affect after the fact.

• Kichae@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It depends on what you mean by “mass exodus”.

There has been a mass exodus, in the sense that a mass of people have exited the site and moved elsewhere in a very short period of time. There has not been one, in the sense that the majority of users have left the site.

I get that the people most affected by changes may want to feel like literally everyone and their dog pulled up stakes to follow them. That they’d want that sense of solidarity, and the feeling that they’re giving a proper “Fuck you” to the people that ruined their good time. And I get that people who are just exploring new spaces want to feel like they’re choosing the “winning” side.

But that isn’t the way these things work.

Habits are sticky. Familiar spaces are sticky. Most people do not like change, and will coats to momentum for as long as that momentum exists. They’re not going to migrate until Reddit is completely crumbling.

And maybe we don’t want them to.

This space is not ready for 50 million people. The moderation tools aren’t there yet. The infrastructure to keep them from just jumping on a single server isn’t there yet. The tools and documentation to help people easily set up new instances are still new and being stress tested.

The goal of killing a billion dollar company, or three of them even, isn’t within reach. That’s not a thing that happens overnight. But this is the ground work for taking on that task.

The first thing people need before they can even consider leaving is a viable alternative, and that’s what we’re making here by being active, and interesting.

• Ganbat@lemmyonline.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

In terms of overall users, probably not. In terms of valuable, knowledgeable and hardworking users? Totally.

Take r/AMA for instance. The place was a gigantic draw for Reddit as a space for trustworthy, verified celebrity interactions. The entirety of that work was done by volunteers who have since left that work behind. As such, the place literally can not function as it was.

Another example I saw much closer is r/piracy. Despite what astroturfing bots and Spez Stans would have you believe, Reddit absolutely wanted that sub opened because of what a huge draw it is. Just looking at what they did is enough to prove that. They removed the top mod, manually un-privated the sub, then removed the next top mod for continuing to protest before installing their own. The place is open now and working “normally.” Despite this, there’s really no one knowledgeable left over there. I looked recently, and I found a lot of highly-upvoted, really awful advice. Like, some borderline dangerous stuff.

• ChunkMcHorkle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, the real r/piracy is now here on the Fediverse:

/c/piracy@lemmy.dbzer0.com

They’d been preparing for the eventuality they’d have to leave Reddit for a while, foreseeing the day Reddit would throw them to copyright wolves and shut down the sub. Though I doubt they had “Reddit imploding” on their list of possible reasons to leave, all that prep worked out really well.

That was fun, watching Reddit admin twist and squirm and repeatedly fishflop over r/piracy until they got their scabs in permanently. Like you I wouldn’t touch the Reddit sub now, and don’t recommend anyone else trust it either.

• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

What kind of dangerous stuff? Like holding their sword in their mouth as they climb rigging with the sharp side towards them? Not taking all of their vitamins?

• Beefalo@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Reddit has been dying for a while.

Subreddits like AskScience, that it was famous for, are now shells of what they were because the real scientists who put serious time into that subreddit decided they were done wasting that time. This situation is at least a year old, it predates the protest.

You can see this same dynamic across the site. Places that were once vibrant are slowing down, the flood of posts becoming a trickle. Bots are making most of the posts on big subs. Smaller subs that used to hop with human posts are where you can see the truth. It’s not normal for a sub with 500k subscribers to see 10 posts in a week. You see that more often, now.

The truth is that Reddit was always small potatoes. It feels like a big deal when you’re there, but it’s not. The real user numbers are on TikTok, and Instagram, who each have up to a billion users depending on where you get a number. Reddit is barely there, as social media rankings go. There are people with more views on a YouTube video than Reddit has users. Reddit is an also-ran social media site. It’s really not a competitor. It’s just easy to steal from, because text.

Reddit has long had a bad reputation as a shitty, toxic place. Habitual Redditors don’t know this, not really, you have to talk to outsiders. People aren’t that interested in coming to Reddit, they just want answers to their Google searches. It’s not a recipe for growth.

Now the true power users, who provide those answers, are moving away from both Reddit and Google, speaking of a company who best watch its step. A lot of people are starting to talk about Google search the way they talked about Reddit search, which never did get good.

Reddit doesn’t have that far to fall, is what I’m saying. There isn’t a mass exodus, though. You’re seeing a late spasm from a steady tide that has been going out for years. 10 years is a looooong fuckin time for a social platform to be around, they start to rot after the first or second year. Reddit has been rotten for some time.

I see a lot of people, here, and elsewhere, trying to act dismissive about the protests, or about how important the moderators were, but the site’s entire business model depended on hundreds, even thousands of people doing a ton of real labor for absolutely free. If they’ve decided to take an “everyone’s replaceable” attitude and treat volunteers like employees, they’ll pay. It’ll be their IPO sagging down to a couple dollars as they limp to bankruptcy, or purchase, but they’ll pay. I swear I’ll have to buy a couple shares as a collectible.

I’m putting it down as yet another well-earned reminder that you have no business building anything that matters to you on a platform that other people own, it is worth the five minutes a day that it takes to post on it, and no more.

Do not make a job of it, ever, unless that job pays you and pays you so well that people think that you’re really a stripper and your job title is just a cover story. “Social Media Manager”, gotta be code for OF, bro.

That’s how much money you should be making doing labor for a multimillion-dollar corporation. It was fuckin Conde Nast for a hot minute. If the boss can just take your mod and your community away, then you only ever worked there, for free. You were never building a community, you were building their property, for free. You have to stop doing that, and you have to stop presenting it as a virtuous act, unless some fundamental things change.

If you’re going to put a lot of work in for your own reasons, then you owe it to yourself to do it under your own control, or not at all.

I see an opportunity on the Fediverse to start from the old model of internetting and jump off to something new that just looks old, where it makes sense to put that work in, but for now it is what it is.

Reddit still lives, like Theoden cobwebbed in his throne, but nobody will come and banish Wormtongue. It’s still gonna take years for that old man to die.

Fuckin Yahoo isn’t anywhere close to dead. Neither is Digg. Well, maybe Digg.

The thing we North Americans are always a bit too arrogant about is if Reddit somehow gets big in India, or Brazil, then they don’t need us, and we’ll never know because we don’t speak the language. So it’s gonna take time for Reddit to fuck that up, they got options.

But don’t be too dismissive about the idea of “mass exodus”. Digg lost most of its userbase, literally overnight, and it was because of shitty ads. If the only app you can use now is the app that sucks and serves lots of shitty ads in your face, that will do it. People aren’t that habitual. It is very, very easy to leave a social site.

I quit TikTok over one shitty post that was my last straw, you just delete the app and forget about it. Yet TikTok is social media heroin. Reddit is a bunch of dudes yelling about shit that isn’t worth yelling about. It is much easier to quit. The phone app era means once you delete, it’s gone, and it helps to break the cycle. It can and probably will happen, 90% of the remaining users will drop it like it’s covered in bedbugs, they just have to stick huge unskippable ads in everyone’s face, and they’re fucked.

I just don’t think that is going to make the splash you’d expect.

But no, no mass exodus, not yet. I’d keep the popcorn bowl close by if I were you, though. I will not put it past them to turn an IPO into a fail state.

• dx1@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I think the idea of all the content as their property is what’s fucked up to begin with. Legally, now, that would arguably be the case, but that shouldn’t be the case. It’s a body of knowledge constructed by millions of people and the legal system’s attitude should be that Reddit the company can fuck off if they just want to exploit it. Their role is to facilitate and foster that platform, not to seek the biggest payday that can get out of it. Same as the many people running Lemmy instances now. Law’s basis is in benefit to humanity and what’s happening with these corporate social media platforms does not benefit humanity.

• The_Nostromo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Not sure what subs you visit but this is not at all representative of my experience. Subs are as busy as they’ve ever been, so much so I hardly bother commenting to just disappear into the noise.

• jherazob@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You’re expecting something like the Digg to Reddit mass emigration. That likely will never happen again, the conditions for that are gone. What’s happening is what i predicted for years, people are moving away from the site but not going to a single “replacement” place as there’s just nothing like it, but to many. Be it the Fediverse, Discord, Facebook and related properties, various chats, even forums and freaking IRC.

And it’s also clear it’s not going to be a single massive exodus, but a slow decay over a long time. The site will still be alive ten years from now, like Livejournal and other relics of the past are still technically alive, but will slowly fade from relevance.

And one important thing: Sites like that depend on a few users, the so-called 90-9-1 rule explains it well, only a tiny, tiny percentage of users of the site produce the content it needs to survive, and they’re precisely the ones the administration pissed off. And not only that, but it depends on the moderators, without them the site would devolve to a sewer in no time, and they too have been shafted by the administration. A good portion of them have left the site for good, and the hit will be perceived in time, as they cannot be replaced easily.

Everything that made the site good is dying or dead, let it die, or just survive as a zombie. It will become a cesspool of reposts, recycled content and garbage, and any user that creates good content that still remains there will eventually leave at seeing what the site will turn into.

• mrbubblesort@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Digg to Reddit wasn’t a single mass exodus either. It took years, even after the digg redesign. There were still plenty of people left on digg complaining how reddit’s UI sucked, was super confusing, and people would eventually come crawling back. The redesign was just the beginning of the end, just like this API thing will probably be the beginning of the end for reddit too

• zombie_kong@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My opinion is that if you give a shit about how and where you spend your time, you will not support a platform run by and inhabited by dickheads.

Vote with your feet, or thumbs in this case.

• lbj@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I don’t think it’s a mass exodus. However in situations like these I think it’s important to look at the rate of change. r*ddit is steadily getting worse, and Lemmy is steadily getting better. I don’t think there will be an immediate sea change, but hopefully there will be fits and starts in the right direction.

• Captain_Patchy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I deleted 14 years of posts and 2 weeks later they banned me for a non-existent TOS violation weeks after the post in question was overwritten with a single letter then deleted.

So, ya, People are going to be looking for a replacement. reddit can go suck a failed ipo.

• Ziggurat@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Mass exodus?

Nope.

Howevir, Lemmy has reached the critical mass of users and is usable. In parallel some active users left reddit, and many sub reddits relies on a handful of active users who post and comment, even one of them leaving here is impacting the life of these subs

• Galaghan@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Since I’m forced to use the official app, the subs I mod are going to shit. The hidden tools and cluttered interface impose a real challenge to properly investigate reported posts and users.

So now I just do the bare bare minimum and basically flip a coin when wondering to remove stuff. And boy oh boy it already shows.

• deafboy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Are there any good mod tools for the activitypub based alternatives, or is it equally bad here for now?

• whatuptrey@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

There clearly is not. Even people on here, who say they “quit” Reddit, often go on to say “I only go on it now for this one subreddit” or “I only go on it to check news” etc. Spez bet that people would either not care about him shitting all over the Reddit community for profit, or be too addicted to Reddit to actually do anything about it. And he was right.

These predictions that Reddit will collapse because the “power users” have left are ridiculous. It’s not difficult to find recycled trash on the internet to shitpost on Reddit. Hell, bots can do it, and have been. People just want garbage to mindlessly scroll through and leave their dumb comments on (“user name checks out, har har”).

I will personally never use Reddit as long as it’s run my Spez (or any other equivalent asshole), but it’s quite clear that they’ve survived this API debacle just fine.

• Ohthereyouare@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

True. But, the power users leaving will likely have a long term impact.

The thing that set Reddit apart from all the other spaces to settle down on the internet was that Reddit’s users made it work, not Reddit.

They had their faults; moderation wasn’t perfect. But, it was good in the places it needed to be. Reddit was also very good at attracting “experts” in niche topics. You could reliably trust askscience, askhistorians, whatisthisbug, etc.

Reddit has plenty of memes, porn and funny cats to attract the masses, but it was the power users that made Reddit what it was.

On top of that, Reddit was so customizable because of all the 3rd party apps that had polish. Apollo, BaconReader, etc., no ads and lots of options to choose from to suit your needs.

• whatuptrey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Good points, I guess time will tell if enough people with enough significance left (or will leave). I just don’t think so, unfortunately. But hopefully.

• ultratiem @lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Cutting back your engagement from 30h a week to 30m is a huge shot against Reddit tho.

I kept my account alive but now only follow a handful of subs and am finding alternatives weekly. Discord. Lemmy.

This all results in a huge loss for Reddit because no one’s there for the ads or promoted posts. And that’s all they’ll have left after a while. And that’s not enough to attract a real base. Reddit won’t die overnight but look at what one fatal move did to Tumblr (when they banned porn). It tanked the site so hard that it’s losing money daily now. A stark contrast from when it sold for billions.

Corporations are far too flippant in thinking they are indestructible. And how they handled the API changes tells you that, like Tumblr, they made a serious mistake.

• Crackhappy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s the same with Facebook. People are so addicted to it that no matter how badly they are treated they just can’t quit. No matter the evidence repeatedly presented with just how evil FB is, I have still never convinced a family member to get off it. At this point I just will have to be satisfied with them never referencing me or having any pictures of me on it. Reddit is the same, but not as extreme.

• RidcullyTheBrown@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s the same with Facebook. People are so addicted to it that no matter how badly they are treated they just can’t quit.

Facebook is a very different beast. It exists and thrives because it convinced people to engage personally. It’s difficult to leave Facebook because family and friends are there. And Facebook also bought a lot of the competition and branched out: Instagram, WhatsApp, etc. It also has value to businesses, it has a market place, it truly is a monster.

Reddit has nothing. It doesn’t know its users and most of them are really careful to keep anonymous. It has shared interests communities, but not friendships/personal relationships. It’s really easy to quit Reddit if one decides to. It does not affect daily life.