• jballs@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

What exactly is games-as-a-service? Is that like a monthly payment so you never own the game? Cause fuck that noise.

• Sanctus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Season Passes, think Destiny 2, Fortnite, Diablo 4. Where the content is always revolving around and you have to pay seasonally to access it.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

When I first heard it used in the late 90’s/early 2000’s when MMOs started taking off, it applied to subscription games with continued dev support.

These days it’s generally referring to season passes and continued dev support by way a slow drip feed of MTX content.

Either way: I’m not a fan.

• Kyrgizion@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

It comes down to “Pay once, then keep paying (bi/tri)monthly if you don’t want a handicapped game experience”.

• maynarkh@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Also, keep playing, you don’t get to play when you want and have time and still have fun. The point of you playing is not fun, but to pump our active user numbers.

• Jamie@jamie.moe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Really says something that, according to steamcharts numbers, Payday 2 has over 10x the current playercount than Payday 3 right now. Even peak, Payday 3 has 3,475, whereas Payday 2 has 34,680.

And as far as D&D video games go… Baldur’s Gate 3 already mastered that niche. I’ll keep an eye out if it sounds impressive, but I don’t see it living up to the same standard. Even then, going to a game shop and playing with real people around a table can’t be beat, either.

• MarcomachtKuchen@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I know payday 3 is Not looking to great right now, but payday 2 was and is fun, so ill See how this One turns out

• notabotactually@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I’m not going to say my expectations very high, personally. Most (maybe all?) of the founding members of Overkill left to found 10 Chambers after Payday 2. They’ll have to fix Payday 3 before I get excited.